Speedometer cable lube

Just purchased a new cable complete with housing from the usual vendor and it seems prelubed. I have been good advice on using another lube but this might entail pulling the cable from the sheath and I don’t necessarily want to break what isn’t broken. Any others with experience using their cables already greased up and ready to install?

“Try using stuff called Viscotene. It’s a thick sticky lube.” This stuff is a bit hard to come by here and I would have to have it mailed to me. Graphite seems a bit messy.

All suggestions welcome and I am almost ready to install the cable.

I was getting a bit of wavering and wanted to see if the cable was the culprit.

Gerard

I’ve never had a replacement cable for a Jag where you couldn’t pull the core out without damaging anything.

If it was supplied with a wet lube, pull the core and lay it on a clean surface then squirt some lube in (White lithium, bicycle chain lube, Viscotene) then refit the core, wiping it with more lube sprayed on your hand as you go.

If the core is supplied completely dry, use powdered Graphite.

You want a lube which is thick enough to stay put, but not so thick that it will make the needle jump in cold temps. You don’t want any of the lube to make it’s way into the speedo head.

Lubing the cable is a lot easier with the whole shebang out of the car. Cleaning the dash/carpet/steering wheel after you’ve dribbled and sprayed lube about is a bother, as is keeping the free end from contacting the seat/headrest/console.

Related possibly.

Speedo in my car seems ‘lazy’. I take the car up to a speed, then with steady revs the speed I think we’re travelling at is faster than indicated, then the speedo takes a few moments (5-30 seconds) to ‘catch up’ to actual speed.

Is this usual?

From memory, no it should be fairly linear in movement consistent with the actual road speed. (Clarification its a while since I drove my ‘S’