Speedometer cable replacement

One source of oil leaking from my MkIV 3.5L car is the speedometer cable. Oil had been running down the cable and occasionally dripping onto the exhaust pipe creating a characteristic odour but only when we are climbing steep hills.
Anyway I found that the outer sheath was quite loose where it goes through the hole in the chassis cross member, and while examining it today I gave it another tug and the outer cable came out showing a break - presumably where it had been rubbing against the edge of the rail over the last 73 years.
I have covered the whole cable with some split reinforced plastic hose and pushed it up into the hole as a temporary measure.
I will be taking the engine and gearbox out in due course - to address the other oil leaks - but wonder if the cable can be replaced otherwise by any other means than removing the seats and floor and transmission tunnel etc.
Any advice or suggestions will be most welcome!
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

You might find that the oil is not escaping from the gearbox via the cable inner but rather from the clearance between the part 24 and the casing 17. This part is retained by a hidden slotted bolt 22 that is not obvious.

Peter