Speedometer question

I noticed that my speedometer does not show any mileage over 100K.
I always thought it would be over 100K when it showed the rest of it.

Anybody has any thoughts about this?
1978 XJ6 ser.2
Walter

Between 1975 and 1980 or 81, all cars sold new in the US were fitted with speedometers which did not read above 100 MPH or 100000 miles. After several years of consumer complaints, manufacturers reverted to installing ‘normal’ speedometers once again on cars destined for the US market.

Walt,

not quite sure whether I missed the point, but …

even in original setup SII (UK or ROW) cars only had 5-digit mileage counters. So, after 99,999 mls they would restore to 00000 and start over again. I’ve got hazy memories that in the 1970s it was only Mercedes and Volvo daring to use 6-digit counters. Until the 1980 five digits were common and it also was common practice to ask, how many times a used car had “zeroed”, prior to purchase.

So, the 100k is perfectly normal, but are you saying that the car has not restarted counting from zero after 100k? Usually, it should and only a defect in the counter might avoid it.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

This is the origin of the expression “it’s been around the clock twice” - meaning it has over 200,000 miles. as previous poster has stated, cars at one time only ran to 5 digits and reset at the 100,000 mark.
"

I just never paid attention to that.

Walter

I just never paid much attention to that.

Danke, von walter. jochen

Circa 51, i bought a neat 49 mercury sport coupe. it had just crossed 100K!! that brought it in to my budget range. 100K cars were to be avoided!!! it had a newly installed rebuilt engine Three on the tree and OD. I was delighted…

Carl

I once met a guy who was a freelance photographer. Owned a great big Buick with a trunk full of camera gear and a police scanner. When some report came in, he’d drive to it to get pix. He’d put more than 100K miles on a car in a year. Once the odo rolled over and got up to 20K again, he’d sell it as having only 20K on it.

Back in the 70’s I bought a S1 3.8 E Type with 80 something thousand miles on it. After a while , I noticed the odo was only incrementing every 10 miles ( as in reading 1 instead of 10 miles) After several years, the odo finally went to 89,999 and then went back to 80,000. Who knows how many miles it had really done? Wonderful car!

Ahhh, a time machine! :smiley:

Cheers!

Ps. My E-type had just over 70.000kms on it when bought (and for several reasons believed to be actual) but it works normally and now shows only 8.000kms. :slight_smile:

My dad had a 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible* that he held onto way too long. Kept it properly repaired. Repainted twice. Near zero rust underneath. Fresh carpeting as needed. Any flaw in the seats was fixed immediately (he was an auto trimmer).

When he finally sold the car, the buyer could not believe a car that immaculate could possibly have 65,000 miles on it.

It had been driven 265,000 miles! Condition is everything.

*One guess on who was responsible for maintaining the electrical nightmare of the top & trunk lid automation.

There is a 1966 Volvo P1800 that has over 3.2 million miles, all documented by Volvo. The fellow who put all those miles on it passed away, and I believe his daughters sold it back to Volvo for their museum.

Yes, I think it holds the world record.

I have a 2nd cousin who owns a 1990 Toyota Hilux ute. One owner, looks like sH#@t but has 980,000km on it. Has had a 2nd hand gearbox fitted and replacement diesel injector pump, but otherwise totally original. Still going strong.

Diesels have an unfair advantage, in that diesel fuel itself is a decent lubricant and greatly reduces piston/ring/cylinder wear compared to gasoline engines.

Aye, son’s 95 Cummins powered Ram is somewhere in the 300K + range. PO ran sans odometer for years!!!

My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. is at a mere 215 but still strong, tight and shiny. Not diesel…

Check the You Tube “Bus Grease Monkey”. 47 EX Grehound 47 silversides" going strong…
GM Detroit 6. a two stroke diesel!!!

Carl

My Ford F250 Super Duty diesel has 485,500 miles. Still running well, but a bit rough running after starting if not warmed up with block heater for a bit.

Jeff H.