Speedometer transducer

Looks like the 1984 XJS speedometer and odometer is not working. So it appears the cable to gearbox is solid but I believe it travels up to near the firewall to what should be (i think) the transducer . Cant seem to see it. Thoughts? Pictures?

If you have a cable…as in speedometer cable…then you have a mechanical drive speedometer. Therefore, you won’t have a transducer. The transducer is used on the cars with an electric speedometer.

It looks like this:

What the cable might go to is the Intervalometer. This weird device measures miles driven and turns on the Oxygen Sensor warning like every 30k miles.

It looks something like this

Cheers
DD

When did the diff-driven electronic sensor come in Doug?

the diff mounted speed sensor came along sometime in 1987 at VIN 144xxx or 142xxx…something like that.

Cheers
DD

Thanks for the info. I haven’t taken off the tach gages cluster yet but fee like its electronic based on what I see from other posts. That picture helps and will get back under the hood hopefully tomorrow.

Don’t take out the cluster just to find out if you have an electric speedo.

Crawl under the car and look at the left side of the transmission. You’ll either see a speedometer cable or you’ll see a transducer. The transducer is on side of the transmission at the same location where a cable would attach.

I think the electric speedometer came along at VIN 113xxx

Cheers
DD

1 Like

BTW, that oxygen sensor warning system went away with the introduction of the 3-wire sensors. The 1-wire sensors were only good for 60K miles IIRC, but US EPA regulations required that the emissions systems work for 100K miles. So the car had to have a warning system to tell you to replace those sensors. But the 3-wire sensors last longer, more than 100K miles, so the warning light system was omitted.

Note that it simply counted miles and told you when the sensors were due for replacement, at which time you pressed that little white button to reset the counter. The warning light didn’t really say anything about the actual condition of the sensors.

1 Like

No need to check. You have an electronic speedo. My '83 did as well. I think the cable-driven speedos only existed on pre-H.E.'s.

Hi. You all are great here, thanks for quick replies. Yes I found it and definitely a frayed wire to that transducer that converts spinning cable to electronic. The picture helped for sure. Who do y’all thinks best online for Jaguar parts?

Edit- I see englishparts dot com had one for $126, wow. Still looking. For now I just use my “Waze” app and it tells me how fast I’m going lol.

I’m pretty sure that transducer is pretty easy to fix. In fact, I seem to recall someone posting a series of photos showing a repair. Might as well give it a try; if it doesn’t work, nothing lost, just gotta buy a new one anyway.

Yes it is.
Pry it open, resolder all the joints and close it back up.
Fixed my intermittent speedo problem.

1 Like