Speedos in XK140 overdrive cars

Yes, I presume this is what you mean.

The sleeve bearing is C.11927 or XN.4473

Bob,

Your speedometer X.51691/41 is (normally) used in combination with a (non-OD) rear axle ratio of 3.77. You have a 4.27 rear axle. Like with the above discussed use of speedometer X.51691/35 used on a (non-OD) axle ratio of 3.54 and on the (OD) axle ratio 4.09, we might well accept that the X.51691/41 speedometer is used on the (non-OD) axle ratio of 3.77 as well as for the (OD) axle ratio 4.27.
The ratio between 4.09 and 3.54 is 1.155 and between 4.27 and 3.77 comes to 1.133.
Although not identical (a 2% deviation) the Smiths X.51691/41 speedometer is therefore the best recommendation of the available speedometers of that era.

Bob K.

4.27 rear end exceptionally unusual in XK140!

The 4.27 gears were used in the large saloons, so theoretically possible in any Salisbury axle, though perhaps only for someone interested in 1/4 mile drag racing.

The car has 9:1 compression, the C-Type head, Sandcast H8s, a CR transmission and overdrive, so my guess is the original owner ordered it with as many bells and whistles as he could. I don’t know why he went with the 4.27 rear end, but it is not that different from the 4.09 when mated with overdrive. I read that Sterling Moss had his 120 retrofitted with a 4.27 but he may have pulled a camper with that car and I don’t believe it would have had ovedrive.

What is the chassis number on this one?
Thanks Terry

Thank you all for sorting this out for me!
1 The original reason for asking was that I was trying to work out whether a particular SE XK140 had OD fitted new. No indication on the chassis or gearbox numbers that this was the case. The speedo was /35 - but we all now understand that this was ambiguous! Could be a standard car, or an OD car.
2 Anyone have a non OD 4.09 ratio car?
3 The report on the factory card of a /34 speedo looks like a type …

Did anyone notice the error in my message? I said that /34 was a type - but in fact made a typo typing the very word typo! I hope you got a laugh …
Anyway, the car in question was 800065 which I have seen and which in fact has a /35 speedo. So the car card was wrong.

Terry, The chassis # is S 813007 DN. It was manufactured in November 1956.

I Hi All, been a while. ( several years in fact)
I am using a JLE OD for a project. In that car, with 21 inch wheels and 525/600 tyres, I use a 4,27 rear axle and the OD. The clock is reversing hands (clapping) with a reversing Angle. ( which I need to check).
Does anybody of you know the turn wise of the exit of the OD (clock or anti clock) and what type of connection that is?
I think it is a (female) M22 square, Am I right?
As Info: I will install an angled reduction box on the JLE side to adapt to the clock which has a TPM of 1000 . Using the rearaxle (4,273), the tyre (rev per mile 644) and the pinion of the JLE ( 2,5). The reduction than calculates to 0,91. The exit of the clock is 5/8x18.
BTW is sold my jag 5 years ago . I found that working on it was more fun than driving it. Sorry.

Looking at the pictures above I think the pinion , the driven shaft with the 15 teeth, runs clock wise? As does the main shaft?? Or am i wrong? I read somewhere that Jaguar had some JLE OD’s which turned the other way ( and ran the pinion underneath the main shaft? Any opinion on that?

I realize that I need to specify these questions. I need to know if the OD pinion ( the end of it) in the m22 exit) turns clockwise of counterclockwise , when you look at it!!!
Looking at it is opposite of when you look “with” it. ( see the “pencil trick”)
My clock and angled rive need the cable to run to the left or counterclockwise (looking with it ( to the clock). So in my case the JLE OD needs to turn clock wise, when I look at it !!
If not I need a second angle drive that is reversing.
Hope this helps
Vrolijk Pasen ( happy Easter)
Duco

Hi all, would anyone no were I can purchase a Speedometer Driving Gear part# 910 and the Driving Gear Distance Piece behind Speedometer Driving Gear PART # C909 JH Gearbox
Thank you Kevin Carlaw