Spin-On oil filters - Mann W916/1 - Alternative oil filters?

I purchased a spin-on oil filter conversion kit from SNGB, which seems to be quite popular. It’s a nice quality kit, which works well. They recommend a Mann W916/1 filter. I’m having a more difficult finding them now. Does anyone have a substitute that has the same form, and is good quality? I found a cross-reference table on-line that lists 222 options, but perhaps someone has a good suggestion. Otherwise, I’ll make some trips to the auto parts stores for research.

Thanks!

Not hard to find at all - it’s even available on Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CUG71I?pldnSite=1

There are TONS of cross-references to every filter maker known to man.

The Mann filter isn’t black magic, it has a 3/4"-16 spigot, made popular on Mopar and Chevy cars since the 1960’s. Anything that would fit a '59 and up Chrysler would work just as well, like the old standard PH8. I think the Mann is an AH application. The variations in can height and width are functionally irrelevant, and you have room for the larger examples. Here is an interchange list, it’s not complete:

Isn’t this the reason that some prefer fitting the S3 XJ filter block rather than aftermarket. The XJ filter block has a 1"-12 spigot. I don’t know if it makes any real world difference.

I run a Fram HP1

Just fyi, engine masters did a test on spin on filters and they found the K&N Gold to be the best.

1 Like

And with the K&N your oil now exceeds manufactures specifications :innocent:

1 Like

AND, it re-refines it into brand new oil!

Is anyone really planning extended oil change intervals on their precious XK engine or V12?

Good question, and I think that with the vast majority people on here, almost all of whom overobsess about the oil, any damn filter that fits will work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

Doug

ANT: SP1507
MAHLE: OC23
MEHR: n/a
FRAM: PH2857A
MANN: W916/1
UFI: 2310200
RYCO Z89a

1 Like