Spring cosmetics

With a very long winter around here, only today I got to thoroughly cleaning the car and making it shine. Beautiful day made a good background for some pics.

Enjoy springtime!

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

7 Likes

Good job! A perfect day to drive. Are those winter tyres?

Beautiful, Jochen.

David

Indeed, they are.

My regulator requires winter tires to be used in winter, and as I don’t want to be restricted, two sets of tires don’t make sense for my intensity of use and modern winter tires aren’t far from summer tires properties I’ve been riding on winter tires for the last ten years or so - and don’t regret it - they are a lot better than the five-year-old Pirelli P 4000 that were on the car when I got it.

Best

Jochen

Beautiful car, beautiful colour, great backdrop Jochen!

Is that Lake Constance? I have a cousin who has lived in that region for maybe 40 years and I have been there many times, the first visit was when I was 16 which is a long time ago now,

Best wishes,

Bob

Yep. View over “Überlinger See” which is the upper of the two rabbit’s ears of Lake Constance.

Which part have you been to? I spent three wonderful months in Wellington in 1993, travelling a lot and almost buying a Citroen 15 CV …

Best

Jochen

My cousin lives in Uhwiesen, near Stein am Rhein. It’s a very beautiful part of the world (as you very well know!).

Bob

Indeed - Uhwiesen is a part of Switzerland and a very nice place to be. When do you plan to visit your cousin again? - Flying to Zurich it takes about an hour to get there.

Best

Jochen

Jochen, not from New Zealand it doesn’t :joy::joy:.

Due to the illness of my wife I shall not be travelling for the foreseeable future, in fact my passport expired 2 years ago.

It is a beautiful place. My cousin was posted to the area in the late 60s and he spent a few years there before returning to England to live and work and then he was posted back and he has lived there permanently for a long time now.

I went there for the first time in 1970 when I was 16 and I used to drink beer on the ferry on Lake Constance, they were very relaxed about that sort of thing then, or maybe I looked older!

Enjoy your Spring, a bit dismal in Auckland this morning,

Regards,

Bob

“Meine Damen und Herren, bitte begrüessen Sie die Königin von Konstanz!”

[Applause]

No drilled-door rubbing strips, side repeater pimples, undersize headlamps or afterthought round rear reflectors and fugly bumpers bulging like full diapers. Just pure twin 2” SU class and charm.

1 Like

My first German words “Ein bier bitte” :blush::blush:

Bob,

I didn’t mean an hour’s flight from NZ, but an hour in car or train after the flight:-) Sorry to hear about your wife’s health problems. Sometimes there are more important things in life than any old car … still they may help in getting your head freed up.

BTW, 16 is legal age for soft alcoholic drinks like beer, wine or champagne in Germany, so no need to get worried. And “Ein Bier, bitte!” is perfectly correct grammar and polite as well!

Peter, thanks for the applause! I took the pics upon washing the car on Saturday afternoon. Later at night I treated her to a polish. When I stepped back, looking at it in our common garage, I couldn’t help but think that it was the best-looking car in the garage. Every line where it belongs to, every proportion correct, even and balanced, no manga-style “faces”, no form-follows-no-function creases. Just beauty.

And while I’m usually not that excited about blue blood and yellow pages, I was flattered by the fact that my car enjoyed regular services from 1977 to 1990 by R.A. Creamer in Kensington - the same Jaguar representative that took care of the Royal family’s Daimlers until it was closed down some years ago. And there is another connection to Lake Constance: the late Prince Philip spent his youth close to his cousins in the Salem boarding school just some 10 mls from the north shore.

Good luck

Jochen

Hi Jochen,

Sorry, misunderstood your meaning :blush:.

The XJ6 is a master class in design, there isn’t a single angle from which to look at it where it isn’t perfect (in my opinion!).

While the E type gets all the kudos (and most of it well deserved) the XJ6 is as good looking as the E type and surely should be right next to it in terms of desirability and price, as if nothing else it is more usable. Perhaps one day!

All the best,

Bob