Spring glass bowl

Ok…let me prepare everything…I see the 2 piston carbs…I understand that it has oil…it is correct…what amount

Spring too strong or too long and too small diameter, you could look for a larger diameter weaker spring or cut it to shorter length, so it only compresses a small amount.

Grease on the seal would just get washed off by the fuel.
Silicone sealant would be bad, react with the fuel and crumble.

Fill the carb piston shafts about halfway up with SAE 30 motor oil.

Great!! Every body…then I tell them…how am I going with this😀 … I’ll take note of everything …!

I’ve looked a many Jaguars at car shows and some have no filter at all, presumably just the gauze strainer. My 1965 3.8S, owned since 1966, never had a filter. I think the filter was introduced at some later date?

well…for 30 years or so this filter has been there…the previous owner told me … I have removed it a while ago … but I really didn’t remember it until (ian) uploaded this pictures…

I saved it somewhere and I had forgotten …:slightly_smiling_face: !!! … you know … those blackouts :grin:

John…so can use just the gauze brass…is what you said?

Mark 1 SPC showing the flat disc filter.
Mark 2 SPC showing the basket filter.

Mark IX
3.8 Mark X
4.2 Mark X
image image
It appears to have come in during the Mark IX era. Mark VIII does not have one.

Yes, you can just use the gauze filter - I do that on my Mk2 and have no fuel problems. It’s not a substitute for clean gas, but you’ve taken care of that problem. I’m careful to use only stabilized or non-ethanol fuel if it will sit in the tank for more than a couple months. An inline disposable filter as Tigger suggests is also a very good idea.

Where did this info come from Rob, I have never seen the orange type filter fitted as original eouip prior to ‘66 / 67 on any model Jaguar, These orange composite type filters catch any incoming sediment and can block quite quickly, whereas with the gauze filter any sediment drops to the bottom of the glass bowl, much the better system, as long as you check now and again .

Hi,

The “basket” filter came ca 1967 to all models, it’s an AC part, still available from many sources, but for some weird reason not from the Jaguar parts resellers.

I agree, I never had an issue with the mesh filter on my S1 E-type, but have had trouble with the later paper replacements on both my S3 V12 E-type and XJ6C both of which have the filter in the trunk.

A) they clog up and reduce fuel flow
(The E would not run faster than 190km/h)

B) the rubber seal will leak
(Not good, luggage will stink petrol for a long time, makes SWMBO unhappy)

Cheers!

Both types are in the Jaguar books .

3.4 Mark 2 SPC, but my pdf is missing the title page so I don’t have a publishing date.
Here is from the 3.4/3.8 S-Type SPC J.35 revised Nov 1970.

A filter is basically a jillion little holes tied together, and each hole captures one particle of crud, then its job is done. The filter and engine design people have gotten together and figured out a good compromise size for the holes. Larger would let bigger particles through, and smaller would restrict fuel flow. So to catch more particles you make more holes, i.e. more surface area. The pleated filter has taken over the market from the simple screen.

ok…for now I’m going to use the paper filter…that the one I have on hand … I’ll see later where I get the gauze filter…or the basket (filter) that the jaguar has used for many years. .as far as I know … about 30 years … more or less and I think it is the original … I already have the gauze filter located in SNBarret … but the basket (filter) type is not I find nowhere … here in the USA. …

This is why I asked re the info, the basket filter well after the MK9 era of course, perhaps a typo on your part . :smiley:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I meant the glass bowl with the 7299 flat disc Gauze Filter seems to have come in about the Mark IX and Mark 1 era.
The Mark VIII apparently did not have the glass bowl at all.
The 854347 or C.28080 basket Fiber Filter Element came along later, replacing the flat disc screen.
The Mark 2 book seems to indicate that the basket came in with the 340 at engine 7J50001.