Spring spacer - forum knowledge sought

I recently installed new springs in 94 2+2. I reused the jaguar white plastic 1/8" spring spacers, with 2 on bottom and 3 on top. I ended up about 1" high on the front. Obviously, I could remove some of the spacers, but I do not envy dropping these spring pans again. My question for the forum is whether anyone has tried (or has advice) regarding the following 2 options:

1. using coil compressors such as those shown below.
  2. “melting” the plastic spacers below the spring by heating the lower spring pan.

I’m not sure of the type of plastic in these jaguar spacers, but if it is HDPE, the melting point would be around 400F, which I could achieve with a torch under the pan. That localized heating would not impact the pan bolts nor anything I can image near the pan.

Any input or perspectives would be appreciated.

Spacers on bottom? My 88 only had two on top. And the ROM says never to use more than two.

And I would not trust those compressors.

Hi John,
How “recently” were the springs replaced? They will settle some as time goes by.
I have not used options 1 or 2 on my own car, but there is something else you can do. Get some longer bolts for the spring pan anchor points. Get some washers that could be used as spacers. Loosen the four bolts and two nuts and bolts below the spring pan, just enough to allow you to insert a washer/spacer at each attachment point. R and R one bolt at a time. Doing this will drop the front end of the car- how much depends on the number of spacers. Easily reversible, and no compressor required.

Dave, that is an interesting option I had not considered. Have you seen this before, and does it look strange? The new springs went in 2 months (about 500 miles) ago, and I have not yet noticed any settling, so it may drop a bit by the spring.
Greg, I’m the second owner, acquired the xjs in 2004. The best I can tell, the 5 spacers were OEM installed, as the springs were original and from appearance the pan had not been previously dropped.

John, no, I have not seen this fix , or even a photo. Just read about it. Hidden in the dark below the car I don’t think it would be noticeable. Maybe there is a member out there who has done this, and has a photo.

The ROM says five spacers in total, two on the bottom and three on the top, or vice versa.

Neither, nor…
I would not trust the compressors, it’s a very heavy spring. And I don’t think there is enough space anyway.
Melting the spacers will also melt the paint and on the long term the pan will rust.

Also, in order to lower the front 1" (25mm) you need to remove three spacers.
If you do the washers thing between the pan and the control arms you will need to add 0.4" (10mm) of washers… it’s a lot… you will loose clearance, it will look bizarre and will need new longer screws.

Thanks for the perspective Aristides. I do expect some settling. The coil compressors are rated for 1" of compression. A combination of approaches may be reasonable, perhaps a quarter inch on both the pan bolts and spring compressors. Still looking for any experience on melting the plastic. I’m not concerned with the pan paint, could easily repair that if it flakes during heating.

Perhaps Facelift have 3 spacers on bottom by design, and the earlier ones like mine only had up to 2 on top. I do notice a metal spacer welded in my pan, so perhaps that’s how they used to do it, until Ford came along.

I know it’s a pain, but I would do it right and pull the springs again. All the time and effort doing these ‘hacks’ is also time consuming, and it won’t look right.

2 Likes

I agree with Greg to do it right even if it means “over again”

And I again will say that the video linked a couple of days ago, is a Jaguar video showing how it’s done right and measurements etc. A worthwhile 15 minute video