Spring start-up question

Hi. I’m a new member posting from chilly New England.
Soon I will be uncovering my wife’s “new” 2006 X-type (3 liter V6). It’s been stored in the barn since November.
My question is about that first cold engine start-up after a period of storage. With my old TR6 it’s easy - just ground the coil and crank it until the oil pressure comes up, then it’s safe to start it.
How shall I crank the Jaguar without firing it until the oil is pumped up? Is there a fuse I can pull to disable the fuel injection, perhaps?
Any help or comments appreciated.

I avoid the problem by driving mine all year. I would think that living in the NE, the AWD would be advantageous. My philosophy is that I buy a nice car with all the features I want, so that I can enjoy driving it. The X Type has proven to be very reliable and has started up on some very cold mornings without being plugged n overnight. A big problem with letting a car sit idle for long periods is internal corrosion in the engine.

Thanks for the reply, Grahame.
I found this cream-puff, low mileage X-Type last August, and gave it to my wife for her 50th birthday.
I like to drive my loud and rough '73 TR6 to rallies and car shows in the nice weather; Mary likes the creature comforts. Now, she can follow along with me in the serene comfort of her Jaguar.
So, it gets stored in the winter! It’s a “modern classic”.
That’s my philosophy :wink:

I bought my X Type in December to use as a ski car. I have an XK8 for golf,
top down days and car shows.

I let both of my X-types sit for about 6 months of the year and drive them throughout the Winter. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious ill effect from just starting them up as normal. It only takes a few seconds for the oil to be flowing under pressure, and the splash to oil the cylinder walls. I drive my other Jaguars in the Summer.

Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I worry too much…

-Rick

Hi Rick,
I have about 130k miles on my '03 X-type which is my daily driver in the Winter. I have had the car for the past (about) 7 years. It sits for 6 months, and drives for about 6 months. On occasion it will have to sit for about 11 hours in -20F weather and start up without plugging in the block heater. Frequently starting at about 0F weather after sitting out all night. I let my '02 X-type sit for 6 months, then started it up and did a 4,500 mile road trip without any problem at all. The X-type is an all around fantastic car. Having owned E-types for almost 40 years, I was initially skeptical about Jaguar making a reliable car, but have been pleasantly surprised. Tom

As a new owner, it’s nice to hear this strong vote of confidence in the X-Type.
Thanks again.