Spun rear wheel bearing on solid rear axle INPUT asked 4

I realize this is in the wrong forum but you guys are more hands on. My 63 MK2 needs new
outer wheel bearing seals on the SOLID Dana 44 axle. I pulled the axles to replace the wheel bearing at this time. I found the original Made in England Timkin bearing still in place. The new bearing are NO NAME
bearings. My machinist replaced one but was concerned that the second ( opposite side axle ) has spun
and that axle shaft was undersize.
The RIGHT WAY is buy a new axle. I am cheap.
Another way is to use Locktite 660. The damaged axle is 1.312 INCH at the widest UNDAMAGED part
and measures 1.306 at the narrowest Damaged part. NO BLUEING OR DISCOLORATION .
The NEW NO NAME bearing measures 1.305 INCH at its WIDEST part back and 1.299 at its narrowest part
FRONT ( facing OUT)
The floor is OPEN TO DISCUSSION. Thanks Pete

Sounds to me like the axle is over-sized, compared to the bearing, so it could be turned down to a proper press fit. Worse case, get it welded, then turned down. Though I can’t imagine a good used shaft would cost much at all…

Regards,
Ray L.

Ray thanks for the reply. Update to my post. There is a SMALL lip .03 INCH
to the outside face of the bearing TOWARD the taper of the shaft that will come off using emery cloth.
I am NO EXPERT when it comes to installing bearing but my understanding is they require an interference fit and a 20 TON PRESS. So the fact that area where the bearing spun is close will not provide the interference Hence the LOCKTITE 660

Still open to new opinions. Pete.

Pete,

If it’s one of the ones where the press fit is the ONLY thing keeping the axle in the carrier, I would NOT mess around - get a replacement! It’s no fun having your axle pull out when you’re going around a corner.

Regards,
Ray L.

i agree with Ray. it is no fun, and the axle will come out when going straight.

Thank you. Message received. This setup does have bearing seal retainers that bolt to the axle flange and also serve to hold the outboard face of the wheel bearing
1/8 inch plate stamping so maybe, maybe not. I particularly want to hear from anyone who has used Locktite 660.
Note, a new axle is 200+ GBPs plus shipping.

Hi Pete, When i did a complete rebuild on my 1970 “E” I source a whole slew of Timkin bearings.If you look around in the US there are many sources!!