SS 1 Airline Saloon

I should be very soon the happy owner of one of the surviving SS Airline !
I am tryng to obtain as much informations on thys model such as :slight_smile:
Where there a service manual, parts manual and owner manual for this car.
My car was completely rebuilt by Davenport in UK, but the toolbox is a dummy (fake) one. I would like to correct this in the future. Would someone have drawings or photographs of what it should be like ?
I would like to know where are the other surviving Airlines, owner name, country, chassis number, condition, etc .

Thank you all for help and advices :slight_smile:
Michel

Hi Michel,

Welcome to JagLovers.

There isn’t a workshop manual as such but the Instruction Manual is quite comprehensive.

See also: Tool Kit

and The JagLovers Brochure Section in general.

Peter

Thank you very much Peter !
About the tool kit, There was a special one for the Airline You could see on the sales litterature ( A rare SS Cars 1935 prestige catalogue very different from the one you you pointed .

Thanks,
Michel

Hi Michel,

Sorry about the tool kit link. I don’t actually have any detailed knowledge of the SS1 and Airline. My own SS experience comes from my SS Jaguar. I guess you will probably have come across Paul Skilleter’s “Jaguar Saloon Cars” and also Allan Crouch’s “SSI & SSII Cars” books. Also Barrie Price’s “The Rise of Jaguar”.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Just ordered Price’s book, and I have all the others you mention plus a few others !
Tool kits on old cars is always a difficulty. I still haven’t finished my Mark V tool tray (I purchased the car in 2012).
I like your SS saloon very much :slight_smile:

Michel

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the kind words re my saloon. There is chapter in the Price book on the SSI and SSII and some photos of Airlines but unfortunately not of the tool kit. There are not a lot of Airlines about. Is yours the very nice cream one in Allan’s book?

Peter

No mine is a sort of carmen red ! I will post photo when the car will be delivered by superstition although I already have some :wink:

Michel

Michel,

If you contact me direct on rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au I will be able to help you regarding SS1 Airline Tool Kit. I am in progress of reseaching and writing a dedicated book on SS and SS-Jaguar Tool Kits including the unique SS1 Airline Tool Kit and have a number of good photos and detailed information re tools included. My book is still a long way off publishing, such is the difficulty of the subject matter to get accurate, but happy to share ‘work in progress’

Roger

PS. Seems like the ‘fake’ tool-kit, or flat panel secured over boot lid cavity, is a convenient expedient with SS Jaguar, and now also Airline!

1 Like

Thank you Roger, I have sent you an email !
I look very much forward your help …

Michel