SS 1940 Brake linkage setup

Might as well continue this topic, summarizing what I did over the last 2 months, as some of you may have some wisdom to offer.
Here is my 1938 rear linkage as found.

Notice there are two clevis pins in the rod going forward, because there is a short 90 degree clevis link in there.
I straightened the bent rods, and studied the system awhile, and at first I thought the forward rod was on the wrong side, should be in line with the next connecting rod forward of it.

With the bell crank like this.

But I found the rod to the left interfered with the spare tire tray.

I now believe that this short clevis link belongs on the front end of this rod.
IMG_20190412_113028860
IMG_20190412_113100932
So now the rod is free to swivel in two planes as the axle moves.

I turned the bell crank the other way.

Now the left rod is close to the differential housing, but that is ok as it always moves with the axle.

Thus leaving more room for the spare tire tray.

and I can get the door almost closed.

But the mounting holes in the tire tray now do not line up with the holes in the chassis, off by an inch.
The two holes in the forward end of the tray appear to be original, as are the corresponding holes in the light gauge chassis cross member that supports the front of the tray.
But this cross piece is damaged and may be out of correct position. I will be removing it to repair it.
The two holes in the middle of the tray are within the repaired non-original portion, and may or may not be in the correct position.
The main cross piece which supports the springs and most of the weight of the tire tray has also been repaired by me, and I believe it to be in the correct position.

So I think I can move the tray forward maybe 3/4", though not right up against the brake rod.
Anybody see any fatal flaws in this reasoning?

Hi Rob ,

Your brake compensator is now arranged the same as mine.

Peter