SS 2 1/2 saloon for sale. Your thoughts

I am interested in members comments / observations regarding this SS coming up for auction in Australia.
As yet the chassis number or auction description hasn’t been revealed.
Regards, Graham
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2020-shannons-sydney-summer-classic-auction-rare-number-plates/N7CX8D33S0FV8NFQ/

Very nice 1936 car. Missing a couple of gauges and looking a bit over stuffed and non-original in the interior and missing the obvious sun roof. Also missing the air manifold and silencers and wiper clutches and windscreen opening mechanism. Dashboard and door cards etc some what non-original. Headlamps look a bit odd and guttering not as it should be. Quite a rare car.

In general, someone has put a lot of effort into creating a rather non-original car but should be restorable. Guide price gives plenty of room for rectification.

Peter

Handbrake looks like it is from an XK120. It is on the correct side for a RHD XK120, but is it on the wrong side for this car? My '38 has it on the right, tucked down beside the driver’s seat.

What’s with the rain gutters?

Pardon my ignorance, but what should there be for the sunroof? Steel panels? Fabric panels?

Yet another version of the tool kit tray. Sigh. Luggage strap loop and lid closer are different from mine. Is there a slot for the tyre pump and jack, and if so, what jack?

Let us know the chassis number if it is revealed. Might as well put it on ssjaguardata.com for the record.

Handbrake is one of the correct things. The tool tray is probably good too.

Rob, the '36 and '37 cars are very different to the all steel cars like ours.

Ignore the wrong gear lever knob in the photos below.

Peter

The Tool Tray is exactly as expected for what I call a TYPE D Tool Tray, so unique to 1937MY 2-1/2-litre Saloons, and is different in several areas from the 1936MY 2-1/2-litre tool tray (my Type C), and both 1936MY and 1937MY 1-1/2 litre Tool Trays. And totally different to the significantly revised 1938MY tool tray that was common to 2-1/2 litre and 1-1/2 litre cars.

Rob - look carefully - The tyre pump recess and the Jack recess are co-joined. Look in centre of tool tray, note the slot for the STEVENSON Jack foot and the Arm heading under end of adjustable, and the tyre pump handle on the right-side edge with one of the fold up feet under the pliers. The big gap in the middle is a recess for the tool-tray lid lamp, something added for 1937MY tool trays, and not yet included in 1936MY.
I don’t have exact chassis number demarcations yet between 1936 and 1937MY tool trays, so may not be exact, but am working on improving my current demarcation with more and more sightings. Haven’t yet worked out this cars Chassis Number, but I have a few options, but maybe if Shannon’s reveals number that will be a more positive ID.

The two tools included - the Pliers are clearly wrong, being the style introduced in about 1951/2, albeit close enough in key dimensions to still look OK in recess. The Adjustable Spanner COULD actually be its original, there is many many brands of these ‘Girder’ Adjustable Spanners and a lot of detail changes in shape/dimensions and adjusting wheel over their 1936 to 1954 period of SS/Jaguar use (and into the 1980s), and this one so far ticks all the boxes for 1937MY. Be a fluke if it was original, so maybe just a lucky swap meet pick-up?
And yes Rob, it is familiar STEVENSON Jack with clamped in position ‘H’ beam forged arm, as introduced with the first SS-Jaguars………

Very good, so the tyre pump fold-up feet are alongside the pliers, and the jack foot is by the adjustable spanner, and there appears to be a piece of wood broken away between the tyre pump and jack.
Interesting that the effective handbrake handle went away with my '38 and came back with the XK120. Mark V owners all over the world wish it had stayed.
Thank you both for the clarifications.

Peter,
Do you have a chassis number please? Presumably 13342, a late 1937 build car.
Tool Tray is interesting - close, but not quite right, albeit a pretty reasonable effort at something approaching authentic. My guess is this cars original tool tray was either damaged and major repairs, or a reasonable effort at copying an original or partial original more likely, with a few mods/tweaks to better accommodate some wrong tools to be included. The Tyre Pump is glaringly wrong, and the recess for it clearly modified extensively in length and shape to accommodate. Always hard to find a good original as a definitive reference, but I now have a good few. The Shannon’s 1937MY cars tool tray is a much better example, a few minor repairs needed, but otherwise original, but a good clue to cars identity rather than their advertised 1936 claim, although it could be late 1936 built after intro of 1937MY cars.

The small diameter steering column, mechanical link for jet enrichment QKs and the rad shell indicate 1936.
Peter B.

Curiosity snuck up and trounced me as usual, so I did a bit of digging in books and on ssjaguardata, and found several with that handbrake, but here is another type in car 11230.

And couple more with that tool tray. Here is 10520.

Here is 11963.
OdHTUG

Rob,
10520 has what I call a Type C tool tray, and is unique to 1936MY 2-1/2 litre Saloons, given I am not 100% (yet) on exact demarcation, but Alan Crouch quotes 1936MY to be from 10001 (Oct 1935) to 11449 (July 1936 dom). This is one of the better examples of my Type C, being original/unrestored and in this photo clearly shows as not having any tool-tray lid Lamp, thus no provision in tool tray plywood to accommodate. Indeed it even has what looks like a few original tools, including the side mounted spare-wheel nut spanner.
11963 however is not such a good example, having been extensively restored (in Australia), and not at all original, although in the scheme of survivors probably one of the now better examples of my Type D Tool Tray as used exclusively in 1937MY 2-1/2 litre Saloons, again according to Alan Crouch from 11450 (Aug 1936) to 13445 (July 1937). These now introduce the Lamp mounted under the tool tray lid, and thus a need to rework the ply-wood to accommodate the protruding lamp.
Note the positions of tools in the front-right corner in particular - the Adjustable Spanner, Oil Can and Jack Handle, and also the curved corner to the Jack recess to accommodate the lid-lamp.
1936MY and 1937MY 1-1/2 litre cars had a quite different tool tray - my Type A and Type B, as did 1936/7 TOURERS. For 1938MY (Nov 1937 on) cars such as yours, a totally different tool tray with a major change/revision in the actual included tools was introduced, but was now common to both 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 litre saloons.

I am always on the look out for more examples of surviving 1936MY, 1937MY and 1938MY tool trays and tool kits - its one huge jigsaw puzzle to sort out in detail, and I am still missing many pieces to positively identify in detail all the included tools, but am at least advanced enough that I can identify modified tool trays, and wrong tools.

But all of this helps identify the Shannons Auction 1937MY 2-1/2 litre saloon that they are calling a 1936, albeit could be Aug - Dec 1936 manufacture.

Chassis number now stated as 10467. just shows that to acertain a cars model year by it`s tool kit can take one up the garden path :laughing:.
The gearknob indicates a allsyncro box with/without overdrive might be fitted.
I note a SS100 wiper knob and 1938MY manette. The headlamps look strange without their
U patten glasses , might be replica shells. Oil pressure gauge on top of the engine.
I wonder if 13" brakes are still fitted rather than the later 14" items…
Peter B.

For that matter, one can’t always ascertain the gearbox type by the shift knob. :laughing:
The Lot Details give the original engine number as 249971, but also state that they can’t find a number stamped on the block. At least its grey. :grin: Factory dispatch date given as 11 March 1936 through Tozer, Kemsley & Millbourn to Standard Cars of Sydney. Displayed at the 1936 Melbourne show in lavender with blue upholstery. Princess colors, I’ll bet all the girls went “Oooh, Ahh.”
Later owned by Richard Payne (any relation, Roger?), and restored by a subsequent owner in the original show colors in 1996. They say it is not running, which could be because the fuel hose on the pump is not connected?
There is a bracket located to the rear of the fuel pump. Anybody know what that is? Looks like for another pump, or horn?

Don’t know. Just some other accessory. Non-standard.

Peter

The sidevalve and early pushrod engines did/do not have changeable oil filter elements,
a disposable canister filtering bypass oil was/is fitted. SS1s have this canister mounted
low down on the bulkhead LH side, is the bracket in question to mount this canister?
Peter B

Could be something along those lines. I don’t see a filter on the block.
This is from the 1934 SSI/II Instruction Book.

Looks like this SSI has one low on the left as Peter says.

That extraneous gauge sitting on the water manifold looks like a water temperature gauge, unless it could be a temp sensor that mounts on the outside of the head or where ever you wanted it.
BTW note the date format used by Motor Magazine, month/day/year.

Peter,
If only life was so simple to allow such quick conclusions…………………… :joy:
However, there is clear evidence from factory sources, as well as multiple surviving examples, that regardless of 10467 being a 1936MY Saloon, for reasons yet unknown its current pictured tool tray is the revised design introduced for 1937MY 2-1/2 litre Saloons. Judging by all your other comments, seems like you agree that there may well be many aspects of this car that may not be original, which is not all that unusual for an older restoration of an SS Jaguar with many gaps in its long history. It was not hard to find beyond restoration/interest donor cars (if you were looking for one) in Australia back in 1960s/1970s/80s with about 50 of these 1936/7 2-1/2-litre Saloons being sold new in Australia, with now only a handful surviving. But for my purposes, still a nice photo of what looks to be a reasonably good/original 1937MY tool-tray, but sadly no tools seem to have survived - although surely a few must have been found from back then. Maybe got lost in the later ownership, the earlier long term owner/restorer was a well known hoarder.

Roger the categoric statement above based solely on the tool tray, surely invites comment,
when indicative features to the model year are shown in the photos, some of which I commented on prior to your post re the above. That your research informs that the tool tray is 37MY,should not blind you to the obvious features that were changed for the 37MY.
Peter B.

Read my post Peter,

My comments were 100% about Tool Kits/ Tool Trays - I don’t pretend to have any expertise nor indeed any great knowledge about any other aspect of 1936/40 SS Jaguars, as others certainly do, and as others may claim.
So I still say its a 1937MY 2-1/2-litre Saloon (only) Tool Tray, but of course if you have any comment or rebuttal, I would love to hear it and see your evidence. I am always on the look out for constructive comment. If you want more detail about my SS Jaguar Tool Kits research, apart from what I sometimes offer on this forum when topical, you will have to await my ‘book in progress’

Reminds me of a shirt I occasionally wear, when attending climate rallies…

“In God we trust: all others bring evidence and data.

Unlike the superbly suited gentleman operating the ‘Jack’ in the advertisement! :grin:

Cuffed trouser legs too, wonderful! What was the Jaguar Part Number of the suit I wonder, Paul? Most likely a 1936 outfit. :wink:

Tim

1 Like