SS 2 1/2 saloon for sale. Your thoughts

BUT…the question remains: was he wearing a bow tie, or a standard tie?

:smirk:

That depends if he was educated by Jesuits or Anglicans! :grin:

Tim :innocent:

1 Like

Long tie of course, when operating rotating machinery.

White shirts and waistcoats when spray painting.

But apparently at some point coveralls replaced aprons.

2 Likes

never want to see any pics of you fellows driving one around, and not be attired to that standard, bad luck fellow Aussies, no shorts & thongs :blush:

You wouldnt be surprised if an 80yr old car has had a bingle from behind and had the rear panel replaced

That’s true, or at least it certainly appears that the rear light lenses and SS bumper badge are missing.
Hadn’t encountered that word bingle before in this context, over here it was a nickname for Bing Crosby.
So have we arrived at a likelihood that the tool tray has been replaced by one from another car?
It occurred to me that the cuffed trousered and suit jacketed gentleman in the photo would likely be an office staff member, detailed to go out on the shop floor and be photographed operating the jack, in preparation of the operating handbook, and there can’t have been all that many in the office at that time. I wonder who it was.

Intriguing question: likely never to be solved, at this juncture.

I’ll have you know that I don’t own a pair of thongs! :sunglasses: But neither would I wear socks and sandals like some in the Old Dart! :grin:

Bit too hot here at the moment for Tweed and grey wooden flannels but when it’s cooler I’ll post a photo. Bet you can’t wait!

Tim

I am as sure as you can be without knowing cars full history.
Maybe you might get a left over 1936MY tool tray in a 1937MY car, but you could not get the not yet introduced 1937MY tool tray in a new 1936MY car. According to Alan Crouch unsold cars were sometimes updated to next MY specs to help sell them, but this car was dispatched from factory without delay.

Aside from the dreadful colour, the bonnet mascot seems very unusual? I couldn’t find anything like it in the numerous reference books I have.

Tim

It appears to be a standard leaper from the late 1950s-60s as found on Mark IX, Mark 1&2 and XK150, without chrome and on an angled brass pedestal.
leaping cat

It’s modifications like that which sound alarm bells off for me about other potential issues with the car. No doubt most things can be set right with time and deep pockets.

Tim

1 Like