SS Jaguar key fob

Early Jaguar key fobs seem to be commanding a premium price at the moment.
Is it known if there was ever a SS key fob? Any photos?
Regards Graham.

Found This Site:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C626500

Someone once gave me one of those key fobs. The sharp ends of the wings are guaranteed to cut a hole in your trouser pocket before any other make of fob.

Peter :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Hi JagGirlUS.

Thanks for your replies.

That seller is actually based here in Australia but the prices he wants for items is through the roof, like the key ring shown is A$1000, unfortunately.

Regards, Graham.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

I think they were made as key blanks by a US distributor post war. I recall someone at JCNA had some. I h
These were just the badges, I would suggest someone with " initiative’ has mountd it on the key fob. What I can see of the leather section looks like the fob that was a Bryson’s one that came on a MK 8 I had years ago.
I note it is badged " Jaguar" [ in an incorrect font] not " SS Jaguar" as one would expect pre war.

May I offer the suggestion that to spend that kind of $$ on a key fob possibly indicates that you have been inhaling something hallucinogenic ?

1 Like

This very recent book by Morill Marston about Jaguar keys has been recommended by David:

How far do we believe key fobs go back?

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

Graham, I‘m aware the book recommendation would not answer your original question, to which I cannot offer insight. Still, for someone interested in the topic and not aware of the book, the reference might be of interest.

Well reading the sample pages, it appears th e bok only covers 1955 onwards, So not SS , although I note some of the samples bera an uncanny resemblence to the $1000 offering.
Its reference to samples being found in Australia , remind me that someone years ago in NSW bought all of Brysons old stock of jaguat keys. And I was able to buy NOS original FNR keys for my saloon.
I I would have thought that if Jaguar sold fobs they would have been included with other stras [ like tax disc holders and mascots ] in literature.
And to go back SS1s didn’t have coded ign switch keys, One key fitted all cars Pic attached
SS1%20ign%20keys

The Bud Marston book is superb, and focuses on the factory issued accessory offered with new Jaguars and as an over the counter spare part/accessory, first offered/available from 1955 as per books title. There may well have been some private issue earlier albeit I can’t recall off hand without checking book if anything is mentioned or not

These items are clearly an excellent investment and if anyone is wishing to take advantage of them I can offer this one with a 10% discount over the Australian quoted price.

Peter :upside_down_face:

I have one as well. Mine is slotted for an FNR lock, note the Mark V’s FNR key to its right, and is stamped FNR on the back, different from Peter’s.

I bought it here from a US based British parts vendor about 15-20 years ago for about $4.
My SS also has FNR keys.
Maybe there’s a niche market for a CNC machined SS fob?
But with two winged key offerings now, even at a 10% discount, the market appears to be flooded. :unamused:

I suspect the FNR in Robs SS is a replacement. In SS Jaguar days the ign switches used the Bilfixtype of key. Which is very rare now as they weren’t hat durable
The keys are distinctive in that the tumblers were moved up by a ‘wobbly’ slot in the side of the keys as opposed to the straight ones later
John Clucas 's 100 in his book, still has the Bilfix lock and many decades ago the SS saloon we got had it, but in my innocence didn’t reaise the significance, The key would still be around somewhere as I rarely throw anything out, even when I should.
The British Car keys website has pictures including both sides of Bilfix keys which have a distinctive head shape.

The website also mentions that the winged keys that started this discussion are after market.

Hi Ed,

I suspect you are right. My ignition switch is FNR and may have been a replacement but my door and boot locks were both Bilfix and Rob might need to change his handles like I had to.

Bilfix%20keys2

Peter

My information is that the FNR series keys were introduced postwar, and indeed can be found in Mark V, XK120 and XK140.
Pre-war was the slightly simpler MNR series keys, and indeed are shown in a 1939 Catalogue I have.

I note Eds comment re the simple uncoded LUCAS key for SS1, but no idea what happened after SS1 before the MNR series keys were used in 1939.

See below, a sketch I prepared for JAGUAR XK140 EXPLORED when I fully detailed XK140 keys, but shows both the MNR and FNR key profiles, getting more complex with later series…

WB-KeyProfiles.pdf (41.5 KB)

Looks like Bilfix was a Wilmot Breeden brand name.

My SS IGN, door and boot are all FNR, so some PO was kind and thoughtful to change them.

http://www.britishcarkeys.com/forsale.html
https://www.triple-c.com/Original_Wilmot_Breeden_Keys.cfm

1 Like

The patent for the Bilfix lock.
Patent 391043 pg1.pdf (96.6 KB)
Patent 391043 pg2.pdf (109.4 KB)
Patent 391043 pg3.pdf (20.1 KB)
Patent 391043 pg4.pdf (39.1 KB)
Patent 391043 pg5.pdf (25.6 KB)
Patent 391043 pg6.pdf (39.6 KB)

Between us do you think we could make ourselves a nice SS key fob?
Here is one I bought on Ebay. It’s a nice fob but the badge could do with being enamel like the cream SS one shown from Ed.
Ed. Could we have some round badges made (with the SS inside the hex) to fit on this style key fob? or anyone have a preference on design?
Perhaps we could sort the details offline.
Regards, Graham.