Stability control

Dash warning light.
A word to the wise here , some time ago I had the same warning light on the dash re stability control flashing up fairly regular.
After I turned off and restarted , no msg ! A short while later up it would come again .
Before cleaning all the wheel sensors & inspecting the wiring etc , I decided to check the
Battery fitted prior to my purchase & found the culprit in a woefully inadequate amperage.
Once a decent battery was fitted no more dash warning lights .
Turns out the previous owner had it fitted in order to sell it , in the 8 years I’ve had the 2.5 v6 classic premium never failed an MOT an runs like a dream . the Boss said to me " that awd will cost you a fortune WHEN it breaks down".
Since then he has had two mercs (rear diff issues on both ) three range rovers all needed new clutch or turbos replacing . guess that’s the way it goes.
My xtype will take some beating , great car.

2 Likes

Starting issues.
On my 2005 2.5v6 awd xtpe. When In daily use I,have not heard a start up noise .
Sound is a squeal just as engine fires up , only when not used very often does this happen .
Once warmed up or returned from a run ,and restarted their is no noise atall
Wondered if the solinoid on the starter motor was getting faulty and preventing the
Bendix from returning as it should .
Difficult to diagnose without removal and hence testing,but just wondered if anyone else has had this issue.

Yes, we had this problem on our 2002 3.0.
Symptoms exactly as you described.
Problem was just what you guessed.
Glad we caught it before it damaged the flexplate!

-Ken

Thanks for your reply Ken , I’ve just purchased a new starter motor .
Can’t afford to ignore it .

Success… Finally had the replacement starter motor delivered and fitted it between showers of rain & hail ,sick to death of the winter 5 months of this crap!.
After getting better access by removing the battery and a support under the transmission
I was able to remove the main bracket then all the bolts holding the starter in place .
With the help of a block of wood and a pry bar I levered the starter loose , but corrosion had got to the two locator pins which meant cups of tea were needed whilst a soak in PLUSGAS (the old faithful) did its trick.
Despite loosing a little knuckle skin and some four letter words , I wriggled the motor out,
Their is an L shaped bracket which has a slot on one side ,so that when you refit , put everything in loose to start then tighten , otherwise the main bracket behind the battery box won’t line up with its fixing stud.
On the whole not to bad a job and for the under 100 , no more screeching sounds on cold start ups .