Starter circuit/ dash push button

the Start pushbutton on my 420G dash is no longer reliable, and have temporarily fitted a parallel bypass

when the dash button fails, the “auto inhibitor” relay still clicks

I cant figure out if the dash button delivers initial current for the Solenoid ? (in all Saloons)?

or in my case whether the auto inhibitor relay is before, after or parallel to the dash button?..
even looking at the circuit diagram…( I dont think its after, but it does have heavy wires)

I can either replace the dash button and/or add a relay right before the solenoid

Judging by the schematic I have, the neutral interlock is just a switch. The contacts close if you are in park or Neutral (and a separate set of contacts close when “R” is selected to operate the reverse lamps).

The P/N contact is in series, between the pushbutton and the starter solenoid.

(The starter buttons rarely fail, neutral interlock switches, otoh…)

I should clarify, I have the Wasco steering lock, which has a different circuit diagram sub-section

The interlock switch feeds the inhibitor RELAY, which is hidden up inside LH front parcel shelf

its a sob and the cause of some serious grief for non-start, most people do not know of its existence

I have replaced that relay with a sealed Bosch, and also O/H the inhibitor switch

The dash button usually fails on 1st start when cold…ie high current

something isnt right somewhere