Starter wont engage

can any one help? my beautiful jag will not engage starter have checked the obvious, [new battery] it has always been a bit dodgy, but now will not engage at all , tried wiggling gear stick, but the inhibitor is working fine you can hear it click in and out as you move the stick on the relay, but dead after that

What mystery car do you have???

bob

Its a 1995 4 litre sport in turquoise I have found that there is no power going to the small white cable attached to the starter motor , so there is obviously a relay somewhere , but where ?
thanks
Paul

Gus has the electrical guide for your car on his website for you to download.
The electrical guide has a section called FRONT MATTERS that list ALL relays and locations.
The FIGURES will have the electrical connection and wire colors.

http://jagrepair.com/

bob

Hi Bob
Thank you so much, i will look it up, As i am now 70 years old and had jaguars all my life, i am used to doing my own repairs and service, and i may add, love every minute of it , my first being a mark 7 when i was 17,doing an engine change and never looked back. so glad i have joined this forum.
regards
Paul

G’day Paul,

This is from a post I made years ago, you might find it helpful. Cheers.

A couple of things to check, under the bonnet/hood there is a left and right fusebox, next to each mudguard/fender about a third of the way from the front.

In the right hand fusebox is a blue relay, take the cover off the fusebox and while standing outside the car turn the ignition on, the relay should ‘click’. If it doesn’t click swap it with the relay in the left hand fusebox and try again. If this works you have a dodgy relay, go buy a new one, or if you’re really clever pull the dodgy relay apart and clean the contacts with some emery paper and it should be good.

Now that we have a good relay in the RH fusebox try and crank the car, if it starts you’ve solved the problem. If it doesn’t start then further investigation is needed.

There are several relays under the cover behind the LH headlight, one of them is the cranking relay. The one you need will have a thick white with red trace wire leading from the base socket. It should click when you go to crank the engine, if it doesn’t click swap it with one of the adjacent relays and try again.

If the engine starts you’ve found the problem. If the relay clicks and you still don’t get a start then the starter solenoid is the next suspect. You should be able to find the thick white/red wire somewhere in the vicinity of the starter motor. If there is a connector there somewhere open it up and check for current when you try to crank the engine, use a 12Vbulb or a multimeter.

If there is no current then the previous relay has probably got corroded contacts, you can either replace it or again take it apart and clean the contacts. If there is current there then the starter motor needs to be overhauled. It’s not that difficult if you’ve got the skills and time.

I drive a V12 X305 and I had a dodgy starter solenoid and then some time later a dodgy relay but now all is well.

The relays are tricky to get apart but it is doable. In my case I had to take half the car apart to get the starter motor off but it’s been fine ever since I rebuilt it.

Let us know how you go and if you’ve got further questions then get back to the forum.

Regards,
Jeff Watson.
Sydney, Oz.
1995 V12 X300.

Good day to you Jeff
Thanks for youre reply, really helpfull, i have connected a live to the white wire leading to the starter solenoid and the car started fine, so its obviously the relay, and as you have told me where it is , i can locate it and , as you said clean up the contacts,and hopefully that should sort it out, if not look further on toward the ignition key barrell and check each stage,
the main problem was knowing where to find the starter relay, but thanks to your help i now know,unlike you, and the weather you get, i live in Wales and every one will tell you it rains all the time here, we are now on our fourth day of continues rain,and i am trying to do this job outside,still mate i am still breathing and there is a lot of poor buggers in the cemetry who wish they could say the same. So onwards and upwards,
Cheers Jeff and thanks again for youre help
regards
Paul

managed to get starter sorted out no live to relay, so by passed and fitted a new push button starter button, but now the engine check light comes on sometimes, is this a diagnostic job or something more serious, car is driving well no limp mode all as normal, what is your suggestion?
Paul

G’day Paul,

That’s great that you got your car started.

Now if it started then the relay in the RHS underbonnet fuse box in the engine room must be working so then next place to look is in the LHS underbonnet fuse box at fuse F3, it’s a large capacity 25amp fuse with a clear plastic cap. Pull it out and if it hasn’t blown then clean it up and replace it and see if that helps. If no joy then try a brand new fuse, sometimes a dodgy one can look OK but still be open circuit.

Where abouts in soggy Wales are you? My wife and I are planning a driving holiday around the UK next May/Jun so hopefully it will have stopped raining by then !

Cheers.

Hi Jeff
Have sorted it now, the problem went much deeper than i first thought, it was the ecu that was causing all the problems, not only was it not alowing the starter to engage, it was popping coil packs and showing engine check light on,thank fully i had a spare ecu, so changed them over and all is now ok with no isues,knowing that i think i will take my old ecu to a guy who lives nearby who repairs ecu,s and get him to repair my old one to keep as a spare, just in case i get any future problems.
Thanks to you and the forum for all youre constructive help Jeff, i shall certainly be staying on this forum in the future not just for myself, but i may be able to help others as you have helpled me.
regards
Paul