Starting my S1 XJ6 LS1 swap

forgot to include this. does this guy have a bad valve or are they all this way?

@JAY_COOLE - Hi Jay, great build. I just got Andrew’s kit for my conversion. I’m not a fan of the exhaust manifold mod suggested in the kit. Did you end up getting headers?

I got after market Ram horn exhaust manifold with my "engine kit . Sourced, Rancho Recyclers, circa Sacramento, Ca.

My only regret, is only slight. I failed to port match as have others.

Although, my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee came with tube headers, I prefe iron for street driven cars.

Andrew’s kit is first class. well proven to work.

Carl

yes, sorry for the delay in response.
i went with a DIY header kit form GP Headers.
they sent some flanges, bends, etc, you mock it up with PVC, send it to them and get back and solid work of art header. can’t say enough good about the company.
had to send the driver side back to get remade as it rubbed the steering shaft.
on the driver side the 1/3 and 5/7 are splt at flange and slip fits around the steering with slip fit connectors on both sides.

4 Likes

had the heads CNC ported at Elliot port works. milled a bit and reassembled with thinner .040 headgaskets.
switched to FAST 92mm intake, TB, and 85mm truck MAF.
need to go back to the dyno for a better tune.

Thanks for the reply. The exhaust looks excellent!

I was able to find a used stainless steel custom exhaust from a guy who did an LS conversion a few years back and now retired the vehicle. If it doesn’t work as expected, I’ll have to try GP headers. Thanks for sharing and great build.

Neat… Beats bent welding wire as a pattern !!

The driver side is a bit tricky. Needs a slight “kick out” then back in.

My LT1 uses a down pipe via Sun Coast. that kick out and back in neatly executed…

My son decided that my starter travails are heat related. Pipe too close to the starter. Put header wrap on the passenger side. May speed up metal failure.

But, long enough for me…

Nice work. Time to enjoy it…

Carl.

I maintain, on an auto-boxed streeter, you would not have sensed any improvement.

Agree. That is why any regret on my part is “slight”.
It runs great…

Carl.

fresh off the dyno. had quite the improvement.
dyno’d in 2nd gear, shop said they’ve seen several ls swaps come apart in 3rd gear on the dyno. so add 20-30hp for a 3rd gear reading.
drives out pretty good.
the 205/70-15 tires aren’t to happy…

1 Like

Old thread I know but I’m curious as to what those little brass in-line things are after the filters. They look like one way or purge valves? And if I do a similar set-up should there be an equivalent to the OEM air bleed valve? Thanks old boy!

6 port valve

They look like standard flare connectors.

Ah yes, I see now. They’re reducers.

yes, sorry, just seeing this. just hose barb fittings. nothing special. i do not recall the exact size offhand.