Starting Series III XJ6 without using the broken ignition switch

Hey guys!
So… being in rural Northeast Pennsylvania, with no Jag mechanics anywhere nearby, I had to give these guys the benefit of the doubt if they could find the problem of stalling and not restarting because my car literally stalled right in front of their shop, and I knew it would take a lot of trial and error and thus labor time to diagnose. They dropped the alternator from underneath and the voltage regulator was attached to the side of it, which they replaced because they told me it was spiking up to 18 and had fried some things… so they fixed several shorts in the wiring, cleaned out the alternator, replaced all four belts which I supplied, new coil, new ignition switch, fixed a short in the water sensor wiring, and put a new seal in cap of master cylinder that was leaking. They are a small shop with only two mechanics but I was in a bind and didn’t have many options, so I crossed my fingers and went with it. I will say that they did solve that issue and she is running strong now. However, they did not secure the ignition switch to the lock cylinder properly and it came loose, but with your help I got her home. I am putting in 12 hour shifts this weekend but when I get time I plan on doing what Paul recommended and (carefully) put another set screw on the bottom. That makes sense and it should be good to go after that, and again I believe that they did they’re best, and if it was something that I couldn’t fix then yes I would go and have them take care of it. So there it is.

Thanks Gentlemen!
Vince

1 Like

I agree, Vince - a laborer is worth his/her hire. And with their now experience of Jaguars - fixing the ign switch properly should be a cinch…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Sometimes you’re paying for the learning curve.

Cheers
DD

Very true, Doug - and the fact that they were willing to work on an unknown Jaguar is commendable…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Why, it’s just a car like any other - but anyways, besides the mistake they made they got it running and that counts, it is already done and paid for. It was worth the money in the end, too expensive or not, they did a lot of figuring out and cleaning seems.

Probably 1954. I was driving my Belgian assembled 50 Chevrolet. Small town in Northern Germany. it quit!!! well, not all bad. it was in a town and not out in the country!!! better yet, in front of a small garage. I monkeyed around a bit. figured the timing ger lost it’s teeth! with my limited German, I got the mechanics to push it in to their shop. Agreed
How to remove the dampener? I did not know.

I left it with them and took the bus to base!!!

I got it back purring. I do not remember what it cost. No matter, I was more than pleased.

I have more tales of small garages. For another day…

Carl