Steering Column Knurled Adjustment Ring for MK V

Hello All,

Does anyone have a photo of the original Steering Column Knurled Adjustment Ring for the MKV?

Was it made of bakelite or some other material. My car has what looks like a leather adjustment nut which can’t be original.

Barretts have one that looks like the one in the Service Manual but is listed to fit an XK140.

Cheers,
Tim

It is exactly the same as for XK120, not 140. Also early Mark VII up to about 1954. Yes, it is Bakelite with a steel inner sleeve. It says Adjustable Wheel Bluemel’s with a patent number.
Maybe somebody broke the Bakelite off of yours and put the leather on over the steel sleeve as a temporary fix.
People have been known to use a pipe wrench on these when they are really stuck.

There are tiny little set screws holding the wheel on which are also hard to remove.
And beware of the wiring when you pull it out. There is a sharp edge in the inner tubes where it can get chafed and short to ground in there. It happened on my 120, every time I signaled a left turn it would blow the fuse.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the photo’s. I bought one just like that from Western Jaguar though wasn’t confident that it was right looking at the photo’s in the Service Manual. However I now know that it is and so am delighted. Being a substantial item it’s hard to see how it wouldn’t last for ever? As you say, it’s likely that someone broke it trying to force it off. Fortunately, the leather covered thing that’s on it at present is quite free and so will be fairly easy to remove and replace. I’ll ensure that I put a little anti-seize grease on the thread when I reassemble it.

The steering wheel needs to be refurbished a little as it’s become dull with age (much like its owner) so I have taken note of your warnings about the grub screws and withdrawing the wiring.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Rob,

I managed to take a photo of the whatever it is that’s on there just for your amusement.

I have the new telescopic dust cover spring as well as the upper and lower spring cups to go on, which will look great against the refurbished steering wheel.

Cheers,

Tim

My steering adjustment ring looks exactly like the photo from Rob.

Use care when assembling, it is easy to bung up splines, wires, screws. Question the assembly method whenever the urge to force matters occurs.

I will be very careful Roger. I’m always careful never to force things. I usually stand back and pause for a while (even leave it for a day or two) then the solution comes.

Thank you for confirming that yours is the same as Rob’s.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim.
What chassis number is your car and could you send me a photo.
Im in Qld. Chassis 622228. New Zealand assembled car.
Cheers, Graham.