Steering Column MkV

Hello

Can anyone please help with how to remove the top bush/bearing on the outer tube of a MkV steering column. Is it a press fit so it can be driven out or is there some fastening that holds it in place?

Cheers Peter

Hi Biskit,
Not sure if this helps, but here is an image from the parts manual showing the area I think you are talking about…

Cheers,
Jon.

It is a press fit. I removed one once on an XK120 which is the same basic design but a few inches longer.
Why are you removing it?

Thanks Jon & Rob for the info, I will heat the outer column & then try & press or drive the bush out. Rob, I need to shorten the column for a project car that I am building.

Cheers Peter

You will find that the tube end is bored 1.895" diameter for the press fit of the top bushing. You will need to duplicate that at your new shortened end to reinstall the bushing.
Avoid the temptation to remove the other end with the 4 pins. It was also bored 1.895" and the flange installed before the .344" pin holes were drilled and the pins installed, so there is only one correct orientation and three incorrect.