Steering in MK10 and 420G

Watched a video saying that the 420G platform was used by Daimler in their limo series all the way into the 1990’s. Is it possible that they continues to use antiquated steering mechanisms or did they utilize a modern R&P system which we could somehow easily modify backwards in time to fit into 420g or MK10 models?

gerard

The Daimler Limo has special parts…I think it has a rack and pinion steering.

(will confirm by edit later)

It does have different uprights, steering arms, and use XJ calipers

Good luck finding any of those parts though

the guy "james dean the jag guru in florida usa was advertising a complete 420g front end for sale on ebay…if he was close to you i would ring him personally

• edit…according to this it appears DS420 retained the Marles Adwest Variamatic steering system

http://www.myds420.info/servmanAKM9135Ed4.html

I will repeat that this system is ( as I understand it) is quite a big upgrade on the older Burman system, it is very light indeed (maybe even too light for most)

A 420G can never be made to steer like an XJ imo, the geometry of the front suspension is different…Jaguar designed it that way for the XJ, and got it dead right (imo)

1 Like

the mk 10 has an interesting sort of go kart feel in the mountains on xwx s imho, an xj on dunlors was much more civil and lively. i have a complete 420g front subframe and steering i will not use now. free to any enthhusiast. vancouver island, canada i am not sure if subframe & etc is the same as mk 10 but the alternator and pump bracket could be fabricated. i know it does not do you much good in oz.

Hi John,

thanks, I dont need any parts, the OP is in USA

Do you have the 4.2 MKX or 3.8?..that is where the split on steering boxes is

The short story is that the subframes can be interchanged, although many parts are different

in the archives somewhere there are descriptions of people upgrading 3.8 stuff to 4.2, one guy was from NZ…he explains many issues very well

Dragged out my factory brochures on the DS420 and there is a note that it has variable ratio power steering which I assume would be the Marles Variomatic. Side note; Circa 1986 Jaguar Cars USA had two full US spec limos built to test the US market for this car. Nothing ever came of it but for a while we had one based at the regional facility where I was employed. It had the same spec engine as the XJ6 Series III cars but for the limo at this point Jaguar was fitting the GM Turbo400 gearbox using an adapter plate to the 4.2 XK engine, To my knowledge this was the only use of the T400 with the XK engine. Earlier DS420s used the Borg Warner Model 12. This huge car ran fine but the dual control A/C system modified from the XJ6 Series III was always problematic as I recall. I was the only one of the staff who enjoyed driving it. Here it is on the shores of San Francisco Bay. And on the top of nearby San Bruno Mountain.

Agree with your humble opinion. The “anti dive” geometry was very different to other Jags and cars generally. Also very clever. Paul.