Steering is odd sometimes

Here is another where do I start. Getting used to the car around town, new tires, no pull to either side but every now and then the steering wheel is centered but sometimes I make a turn and there is a lag in response, seems to need an extra oomph on the wheel, then it seems normal but the steering wheel is no longer centered! Front end for sure but what specifics should I look for? Going to jack the front on Sunday and start yanking and wiggling!

First thought is the rack mountings or bushings. Are they loose, or maybe the bushings are failing?

David,

Here is an interesting thread from the XJ40 archives on the subject of dodgy steering -

David …

I’m sure that your power steering rack mount bushings aren’t the problem. Your '89 dosen’t have any!
The rack bolts directly to the frame cross member.

Okay,I too the car to my guy for an alignment today, front right wheel bearing was loose but he snugged it up and yhe alignment is spot on, but the rack and pinion bushings are worn and the unit slides from one side to the other mabe 1/4inch. Any ideas on fixing? I can probably fill the gap with a 2 part epoxy but would rather do it properly. 1989 xj40 and the unit is held on by 4 bolts under the frame.