Steering Rack issues Etype 70 ots

I have intsalled new gaz front schocks, all seems good, I do however find the Steering a bit loosey goosey when I’m just driving strait. Has anyone done a tune up on the rack, or adjsutments of some sort or do you do a strait out repalcement. Mine looks to be original too the car ??

Define loosey goosey. Play in the steering or does the car just not want to track straight and true?

When was the last front end alignment?

1 Like

Have you check the two u-joints in the steering column?
Dennis 69 OTS

John,
I apologize for off thread question, but I need to ask here b/c I can’t find
Where you first sent a picture of a “can” or roll of plastic edging that looks like chrome. It’s used on interior trim, FHC. Open rear hatch & it sits on the top edge of the cover where the hatch’s hinges install.
It’s also used elsewhere.
I am actually looking for a black edging like this. I had to cut the steel box that holds the radio to make it fit between an exaggerated trans cover to stop a JT5 from vibrating & a new retro air above.
Thanks,
Michael Caro

Not a problem.

It’s a plastic piece sold at many auto parts stores as a press on door edge guard. And I’ve seen it in black, chrome and clear. .

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cowles-black-edge-trim-18-t5602/99990944-p?product_channel=local&store=6724&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=6724&gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarFAJGmBg64hjT1ksaps4e1Md2fU4qtz3M3JoyTIUpAupkvDulU4PRIaAudBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

not sure if they are the same, but I replaced my rack mounts during my long restoration and the started to separate before I put the wheels on the ground. now using solid rack mounts. my alignment guys pointed out the free movement in the rack.

It’s possible I suppose that the problem you’re having is caused by something you did when replacing the shocks, but I wouldn’t think so?? Anyway, I offer up the following as additional things to think about and check…

I just went through something quite similar…this might NOT be your problem but do this simple test before you go around pulling major stuff apart…

Sit in the car, engine off, and GENTLY, and I mean GENTLY, two finger stuff, try to move the steering wheel left and right, just a little. If you can detect a small amount of play it is likely you have play between the upper and lower sections of the UPPER column assy. If you try to turn the wheel with more force then you begin to load the UJ’s.

If that GENTLE test appears to be ok but you still feel play in the steering when applying more pressure, it’s probable you have wear in the two UJ’s and/or play in the rack and/or play in the track rod ends.

All of the aforementioned can cause the loosey goosey you describe… The problem on my car was the upper column, hence my dissertation here.

I found that sitting in the car and trying to see rack play was impossible. get a helper to move the wheel while you watch the rack.

That wasn’t the point I was making The point was to move the wheel GENTLY so see if there is play in the upper column. The rest is the usual heavy duty work where a helper is useful.

BTW, this point is only useful with the S1.5 and later cars because they use a split column for safety reason, so my point is useless for earlier S1 cars.

Thank you. I just ordered all 3.
Mike

You can disassemble the rack and rotate the pinion 180 degrees or so and regain proper fit to the rack gear and so tighten up the play at straight ahead.

The commonest problem is that the spline at the bottom of the column is loose.

Check and tighten this first and make sure there is no play prior to moving your attention to the racxk.

Does track strait seems to some play in the wheel when traveling in a stait line, Ill check the U joints make sure they are tight

good point I will look at it

great thanks I will try it

just look at the rack mounts as someone else turns the steering wheel

It seems there is play where the steering column meets the rack is that adjustable some how ?

do you mean that the coupling is loose? that should never have any play.

Or do you mean as the column is turned there is a delay in movement to the tie rods?

If I move the column at the base were it enters the SR, there is about 1/4 -1/2 play before the tie rods moves, very small amount of play in the couplings

On mine the pinion outer bearing had some clearance play. I replace the bearing and still had some play. So, I understand this is not for everyone…I ground down my pinion in the bearing area, turned a sleeve out of drill rod, hardened it, pressed it on and ground it for a zero clearance fit. I now have absolutely no play at the rim of my steering wheel.