Steering wheel scratch repair

Hi I recently managed to scratch my wheel and am seeking advice on repair options. The archives seem to contain info on restoring the entire wheel but I’m hoping to avoid that as my wheel is otherwise in great condition. Appreciate the help!

You may get away with just brushing some mat vanish on the scratch !

This might be bush league but maybe a brown Sharpie marker to help hide the color difference ? I have not tried it on wood but use them sometimes to help hide small scratches on metal and plastic without disturbing any of the surrounding finish. Just a thought.

David
68 E-type FHC

Since the color is simply the color of the mahogany, using varnish, tung oil, gunstock oil should get the same color match as the previous poster suggested. Depending on how deep the scratch is, using 400 grit sandpaper to feather the edges beforehand would minimize the physical aberration.

1 Like

If you are going to go bush league, at least spend $5 to get the right type of pen instead of a Sharpie. You’re never going to get a decent result with a Sharpie.

https://www.amazon.com/Rejuvenate-Furniture-Scratches-Disappear-Combination/dp/B00D8OKFP0/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=wood+stain+pens&qid=1574172591&sr=8-6