Stereo Upgrades (again)

Looks real nice Gerald.
I am also considering this one for my Mercedes.
How does it sound?
Are you using an Amplifier or you are driving the speakers directly?
Are the speakers the original ones ?

Sounds good so far. There are EQ presets buried in a menu. “Rock” preset has brought some bass and punch and I’ll probably leave it like that. Much of the next stuff won’t apply to you, Aristides, as it is XJS-specific. Replacing speakers with some middle-of-the-road 2-way Pioneers. 6x9s are installed in the back (in the cubbies, with grilles installed – looks fine. Basically, remove the plywood, cut out the back of the cardboard and use self-tapping screws to mount the 6x9 frame (came with these speakers) in an oval deformation of the cardboard. Pic is the first one; other side was a smoother process that left the original black cloth in place, I did not remove the cardboard structure from the panel for the process and installed plastic mount, speaker and grille as one piece. Fronts are 5.25" that fit the original hole using a custom-cut adapter. I’ve done one side using thin plywood but I think a simple piece of sheet steel will be better. Original grilles and appearance is retained. No pics of that yet, sorry. Got the model that has 4 pre-amp channels for a future project in a few years when I have more time. Lots of space under the front seats (from removing the daft lap belt reels that were part of the US-only 1989 motorized seatbelt system) – a pancake woofer on one side, and an amp under the other seat will be nice.

1 Like

Here is the Team installing the stereo.

1 Like

NP for US tuning. Just set the region in the menu.

Hello Aristides, just going through the process. Looking at adding a mini amp that requires power.
I know there is the power bus on the fire wall but should I run a direct line from the battery in order to eliminate noise distortion?

Yes, the norm is to install a fused AWG 6, or even AWG 8, power and ground cable to feed the Amp directly from the battery.
The Amp draws a lot of Amps and thin long cables will cause it to choke and cut out.
Ideally the Amp ground connection should be as close to the battery as possible to avoid ground loops.

What are you doing with speaker cables?

Since you have a XJ-S, you have the great advantage that the battery is in the back, so the best place would be to mount the Amp somewhere in the trunk, very short power cables and plenty of room. That’s what I would do.
Of course you will have to bring RCA and Speaker cables all the way from the front.

[quote=“Aristides, post:26, topic:445309”]
The Amp draws a lot of Amps and thin long cables will cause it to choke and cut out.
Ideally the Amp ground connection should be as close to the battery as possible to avoid ground loop
Thanks Aristides, great idea. I believe speaker wire will need to be upgraded and new speakers all around.
What started this was drivers door kept cutting out and then drivers side rear speaker.
I’m going in I will post the complete components and speaker manufactures.
This my first fun project for the car, just because.

Yes.
Use Oxygen Free Copper wires. Don’t need to be fancy or super expensive.
Also keep the RCA cables far away from the speaker and power cables to avoid interference.