Stick-on front license plate

Can anyone suggest a US-based supplier that sells UK-style self-adhesive front plates and letters/numbers? Thanks.

@chuck_goolsbee may know.

While they be available per se, They may not be legal . Here in ON they are not legal!!

I’m in Michigan, they’re OK here.

There’s a fellow just down the road whose ‘65 FHC has had an English style license sticker on it for many years. When I asked him about it he claimed to have verified that it is legal so long as the issued plate with the validation sticker is mounted in the rear. (The same fellow, however, has been known to tell tall tales). And, of course, there are many Ontario E-type owners who drive around with no front plate at all, which is definitely illegal, but generally ignored by the constabulary.

You can purchase them here:

Bingo! Many thanks .

Thanks for the info. I have a Michigan plate on the rear but it has a UK-format number that I bought as a ‘vanity plate’. It is the registration number of my first car (BHG 520) but with the period-correct (1970) UK letter (H) on the end. Front plates are not required in Michigan so I think I’ll be fine with ‘BHG 520 H’ on the front. My wife’s MG still has the original Singaporean number on her front plate (we bought a rear MI plate to match the number) and it was cleared as OK by the police when we shipped the car from Singapore. I grew up in the UK with E-types having front plates. I know they divide opinion and understand that they sort of break the flowing lines, but they look “right” to me and I can’t help thinking the front looks a bit ‘naked’ on US cars without them. It’s what you get used to I guess.

Oops. Cancel that Bingo. It’s a UK supplier selling only modern (reflective white) plates. I’m trying to find a US supplier that sells black plates. Open to suggestions …

One er two of the same yobbos, in Colorado…:laughing:

I just don’t bother and go naked.
The “no front license plate fee” is $80, per incident. Which is once in about 12 years.

2 Likes

I was once stopped by a Houston cop with no sense of humor. I hit the trifecta. 50 in a 45mph zone, no current insurance card, and no front plate. I did defensive driving and the speeding went away, showed the judge my insurance card and that went away, No one had any idea what the fine for no front plate should be so the judge and I negotiated. I offered $10, She said how about $50, we agreed on $30. Later on I got antique auto plates which in Texas only requires the display of the rear plate.

2 Likes

30 years ago when I had a '65 Series 1 , I made my own front plate using sticky back
plastic film. Turned out pretty darn good!

Might end up doing that. How did you do the letters/numbers?

I used a scalpel and a straight edge after drawing them first.
Hardest bit is locating the numbers correctly on the background.

I just made my own with stick on vinyl.

1 Like

Many, many companies make vinyl lettering for boat names and registration numbers. You might see if they could meet your requirement.

1 Like

Do you mean a black background with white digits?

1 Like

Black background plates in the UK can be displayed on cars registered before 1979, i.e. classics. Google: UK. vinyl registration plates for classic cars.

1 Like

These UK companies will supply the correct style stick-on plates and they will be with you in less than a week:

https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/
http://www.framptonsplates.com/SelfAdhesive.html

Tippers are my ‘go to’ because they hand cut the characters rather than using a modern computer cut font. Jaguar even went as far as issuing a Service Bulletin explaining where the plate should be attached.
jh2QGKA

Best way to attach the plate is to create the left and bottom position using masking tape then use spray on glass cleaner to lubricate the surface and allow positioning.

Everything you could ever want to know about UK number plates is detailed here: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=41625#p41625

David