Sticking brake pedal

Hi Everyone,

I guess my 1993 XJ6 is seeking its monthly installment of repair funds. I am experiencing a sticking brake pedal, either when I press the pedal after not pressing it for a minute or so, or when I hold the pedal down at a long traffic light. I have to depress it further to get it to release. There’s also a mechanical sound transmitted to the pedal when it unsticks-similar to the sound after the initial start up ABS test. Does anyone have any ideas which part I will be replacing next? There are no brake or ABS lights illuminated and the ABS self check works fine.

Hi Darren …

I don’t have any experience with a '93 model but since no one else has chimed in …

If I’m reading your post correctly your brake pedal is occasionally locking and only releases when you put some added pressure on it. Is that correct?

My humble advice would be to first try to determine if something is interfering with the brake pedal travel in the pedal box. Is it possible that while parked you can have an assistant work the pedal while you can put a stethoscope to the pedal housing (in front of the firewall under the hood) and listen for any unusual mechanical sound.

I can’t imagine any failure of the ABS system that would cause your brake pedal NOT to release.

My unhumble advice would be to aggressively troubleshoot this and limit your driving until you sort it out.

Strangely enough I just repaired a friend of mine’s 96 Lexus that had a similar problem. Every once in a while the brake pedal would freeze and you had to lightly lift up on it to free it. I replaced her vacuum booster and check valve and that solved it. Obviously with the hydro brakes you have though that won’t be the problem.