Stolen 1996 Jaguar XJS

I was gonna ask, how well do you know your neighbors there, VK? I’m wondering if maybe a kid of one of your neighbors has had your car in their sights for a long time, and was just waiting for the opportunity to arise. The culprit could also be one of their friends, that they mentioned your car to or who might have seen it when visiting. :thinking: I’d go down the block and try to talk to each of your neighbors and see how they react to the news of the theft. That would also be a good time to ask them if they have any surv. cams and try to get the film if they do before it is recorded over again. It would also put them on alert as to their own cars. Possibly one of them might catch the same thief in the act of trying to take their car. :crossed_fingers:

I just noticed on your profile that your car is a convertible. Hopefully that will make it even easier to spot.

He did mention in the post that it had VA plates.

Hopefully someone prowling around went through your wife’s car and then took the XjS for a joy ride. After a drive, they dumped it.im assuming the valet keys were missing? Hopefully no one coveted your car for parts. Here in southern AZ, when your car is stolen the biggest worry is it’ll be in Mexico before you notice it’s missing

When hopefully you get it back it might be a good time to invest in a GPS tracker for it?
Especially as it is a convertible, they are just so tempting to some low life.

Yup, Gone to Mexico. I surely hope not !

I began my career in insurance claims in El Paso, Texas. when we had a claim for a total theft, it usually meant the car was gone over the bridge into Mexico. Some were recovered by conventional means with the aid of the Juarez police. Not free, of course. aka “mordida”. A “bite” so to speak.

And at one time a local could do the job for a “C” note. he would not disclose his means. but, we surmised, he merely stole it back!!

A decade or so ago, a lumper lost his fine Jaguar to "perps’ in CA’s central valley. It was found, but burned !!! ##$#%$####$%$
I sure hope not here.

We did get cars back here and there that did not migrate. some very interesting and tempting. One 55 Buick Century in striking Red and Black.
A tale goes with that, but perhaps another day…

Carl

sorry to hear that , I hope you find it , I live in soutwest Virginia , I hope I see it.
check the craigslist postings too.

Car found.

It is totaled. Someone crashed it into a house (!!!) the night it was stolen. It’s been sitting in a DC tow lot since the night it was stolen. Apparently DC does not do a good job of following up on stuff like this.

It’s gonna run me almost $1,000 just to get the totaled car back so I can harvest it for parts…

So sorry Veekay, wish it had turned out better than this.

I an saying very bad words

Veekay,

I am very sorry to hear that your XJS was stolen and totalled. The same thing happened to my 1993 Ford Taurus SHO several years ago. Although the neighbors where the car ended up hitting a utility box kept the thief there until the police arrived, he was a juvenile and there was no action taken against him.

I kept the car, returned it to drivable condition, and family members drove it for years. It had a salvage title and little resale value but with three kids in college and living away from home it helped keep everyone equipped with a car.

I have purchased three Series III XJ6 parts cars to keep my other Jaguars on the road. In addition to all the parts that I used on my Jaguars (Including the engines), I have sold hundreds of parts on b eBay. Having a parts car as a ready source of parts is a wonderful thing. It saves a lot of time and money when parts are needed.

Paul

Do you have comprehensive insurance on the car if so it should cover theft.

Very sad to hear. Since you are keeping it as a parts car, are we to assume you’re staying with us here in XJS land? If not, first dibs on your PDU :slight_smile: but seriously, what XJS will replace it? After anything in particular?

It would be nice if that was the case, and I know policies vary, but unless an agreed value policy is in place, most often, the Insurance Company do a “depreciated” payout, and obtaining another vehicle, especially if yours has been lavishly worked upon, is not easily possible.

condolences to the OP

I reckon car thieves should be publicly caned as half-time entertainment at the football

Guess there’s 2 ways to looking at that, somethings better then nothing. they also are obligated to pay towing and storage resulting from the theft claim course lacking a normal policy with comp coverage its all moot points anyway

One of the big differences between the 95 and 96 model years is the Teves braking system. Could a Teves IV system be installed in a 1995? Assuming I could remove the braking system in the 96, could I swap that into a 95?

Yeah…I guess I’m looking.

What became of the thief?

Nothing on the thief. They don’t know who it was.

I don’t believe in the death penalty, but I would make an exception for car thieves.

1 Like

This is a terrible thing to happen but maybe something good will come from it. Like a “new” 95-96 XJS that you will fall in love with.
Sure hope the owners of the damaged house don’t come after you. Your insurance has the duty of taking care of any repairs to the house.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Phillip

1 Like