Stolen 1996 Jaguar XJS

Phillip:

Probably not. Unless Veekay was negligent in some fashion, he is not legally liable to the hoe owner… It is almost impossible for one to be held liable for the acts of a criminal. Were I the adjuster home owner, I’d not even try to hold Veekay or his insurer liable in subrogation.

Bernard. Me as well, although I do support the DP for murder in the first degree.
In olden days, horse thieves were 'strung up". I see the car as the successor of the horse. Connection of dots not hard !!!

Wayne and Veekay.

Indeed, comprehensive includes the peril of theft, partial or total. The measure of loss is the ACV of the car at the time of loss. A great car is worth more than a poor one. Market research and appraisal needed.

Total loss. that is a money formula. Involves cost to repair, salvage value, ACV.

As Wayne can testify, most can be repaired. It is a matter of determining if is feasible in terms of money,

Sad, that the DC cops are not in tune with this stuff. And, as I hear, not in touch with much else, either. DC is governed by the congress. Need more be said.

If anything is good, and that is a stretch, search ended. Closure now feasable.

Hoodlums took it and screwed up big time. My guess turned out true…
Carl

Carl,
My only concern would be that they could somehow determine the V was negligent in some way and that led to an easy theft. Where there’s an attorney, there’s a case.
Phillip

2 Likes

Point well taken. But, if there are other pockets,
those are easier. No insurance on the home and the repair is a big dollar, mebbe. Or, if someone in the home was injured, then if it is a serious injury. slight or moderate not appealing,

And, if he left it running or with keys and in a high crime area!!

Best defense., “here are m y keys”. Lock jimmied.

Carl

Everyone relax on the insurance speculation. It’s been three weeks and no one has bothered to form a claim or notify anyone about an issue. I’ll let everyone know if that changes.

In the meantime, I have the car back. It’s not as bad as I thought. Front bumper cover is destroyed. One fender seems fine, other than paint damage. The other fender is not so good in the front. Hood will need to be replaced as well.

The radiator and fan is destroyed. One of two headlights is destroyed.

The car drives. The front axle looks fine. The door jambs are not pushed in at all.

Could be salvageable.

2 Likes

From my limited experience with uninbody write-offs & repairs.

if the inner fender is not creased, and door gaps still good, that should be economically repairable imo, depending of course on payout, workmanship & parts cost, hidden damage etc.

I have personally repaired 2 unibodys, (one Jag), that the Insurance paid out as a total (but NOT a statutory write-off)

Another was too far gone for me, but is being been repurposed

came out ahead financially, but its a rotten way to make money

If I left a convertible running with the top down and somebody takes it, they had better be able to prove they own a virtually identical convertible they left running with the top down nearby and just got confused. Otherwise, the thief is at fault. And anyone trying to blame the victim, in this case or any other, should be dragged out behind the courthouse and shot.

3 Likes

I am not so much a devotee of vigilante “justice,” but I grok the feeling.

Veekay:

Don’t answer if you do not care to. Did you leave the keys in it?

If not, is the ignition switch and wheel lock busted?

I’d call that the car is a beauty and well worth fixing. From the viewpoint that does not include “mere” dollars. That is worth the effort and physicly within reason.

Kirby"

Good point. My reasoning was a stretch, but valid. There can be more than one tort feasor.
The thief is surely one. Good for a recovery in dollars. Not likely. First not identified or nailed. Second, ability to respond in damages, not likely. But, just maybe. Parents with bucks, wealthy idiots out for a thrill. Dim, though.

That leaves the guy that left the key in an attractive car in a vulnerable place.

Some years ago, a TV reporter was late to work !! He stopped at a convenience store for a cup of “joe”. Keys in and car running Woops, came out and saw the car departing…

Sir., That is negligence. That can lead to a recovery by an injured party. The ear defense is the inrervening cause, The act of a criminal. Judge or jury might see it one way or another…

Sure do hope and really believe that this is academic and that Veeky ill fix hs car and all will be well. Perhaps better security oin one way or amother…

Carl

Damn, that sucks. I had a car stolen a few years ago, but thankfully it was later returned as-was. A joyride that didnt get too far. Such a feeling of violation and you are living my Jag nightmare. I am seriously thinking of placing one of these on both my cars, so that if this ever happens to me (i do live in NYC) I will be able to track the cars whereabouts at all times.

https://www.thetileapp.com/store/tiles/mate?defaultproduct=mate-4-pack&utm_campaign=226381254&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=200065419824&utm_term=-&adgroup=43107838253&gclid=CjwKCAiAuMTfBRAcEiwAV4SDkUGtiMYEbjBhDBhuTu4w4DM9mAwi8LiYz_NY4ZrG7Tr8RqeGjZVVShoCSvkQAvD_BwE

I have been lucky to never have a car stolen. But while living in LA, I constantly had my car broken into looking for valuables/radio. Switched to removable radio. But after a few years of having to replace window at my cost (insurance deductible), I just left my doors unlocked at night. Every few months, I could tell someone rummaged through, but nothing stolen, and no window to replace!

So, I’ve taken some more time to assess the damage. It’s obviously not going to be as easy as replacing some parts. I thought the damage might only have affected one of the wings, the passengers side, but now it looks like it will need work on both sides…

I took some pictures. Let me know what you think. Finding a body shop that will patiently wait for parts to be sourced is going to be important.

Uploading: DSC02072.jpg…

Bad, but all looks quite repairable.

You really can’t tell how much damage there is until you dismantle it. Could be lots of hidden damage.
I once had a Jeep PU that was stolen and wrecked. It looked like it was repairable until they got in to it and found that the tranny case was cracked. Then it became a “totaled” wreck.
I wish you luck.
Phillip

Hogwash. And if that’s the way our legal system works in this country, it needs to change.

I met a guy with a Lamborghini from which someone had stolen a $200 cassette deck with an axe.

I pulled out the radiator and fan shroud. I think, other than the obvious body damage, the cross brace that holds the radiator and air conditioning condenser is shot. Well the x-brace is also done for, but that is a result of that brace being completely pushed in.

Worth talking to someone to re-weld it?

I know nothing about welding. I’d have to take it to someone obviously. Is this a path worth going down?

If I replaced the radiator, and only the core is damaged, the ends are fine, this car could drive. Not safely, but I would at least be able to get it to a body shop under its own power.

Refrigerant is still pressurized! No leaks to the air conditioner!

buying a wreck would be the best bet, if you can find one cheap enough and have space, even a front half-cut from a rear ender.

Shouldnt cost much more than a couple of grand.

If you can patiently find one

Whenever you want to sell something like that, not many buyers, the opposite when u want to buy!

for others, I recently read of a very advanced Mobile App, that works with a dedicated phone onboard, alerts you if the vehicle moves, and tracks it via Google maps

I would conduct a personal recovery

My vote is to fix it.

1. Those round “creases” in the cross member are interesting. They seem to depict impact at two low posts, perhaps as a protection for a house at a corner known for errant drivers!! Only tangenital, if at all in import. No damaged house somewhere!!!

2. The damage is limited as to the location. But, the location is key!!! Structural element, not mere tin. In USA terms.

A. The radiator support. Not a big issue to cut out and replaced by a good welder.

B. More complex and important. The cross member. A major structure. Still can be carefully cut out and a replacement welded in. Caveat. Adding a temporary beam to assure the wing walls remain in place.

Decades ago, my son bought two “salvage” cars. Datsun 240 and 260. Sleek little coupes in favor at the time. And the architecture s roughly similar. Similar impacts. Cross member issues and some tin. A talented welder. He cut out the bad stuff and made up new ones from scratch and welded them in. Even considering my bias, better than before the crashes!! New owners delighted. Son made a few $'s. win-win.

Side bar. I got to test drive each. Lively and with stick shifts, a ball.

Carl

I’m working on it. The question is where to find someone that can do it. (If anyone can recommend someone in the DC area, I’d drive a ways to do this right)

Right now I’m trying to price out the materials to get this thing fixed, and compare it to buying a new one, harvesting parts, etc. Will know in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I need to invest in a radiator so I can at least drive the car under it’s own power to a shop. Until I get there, I’m kinda dead in the water. I don’t want to pay a lot. I’m currently looking into recoring the one I have.