Stolen 1996 Jaguar XJS

Great, keep that beauty on the road.,

How bad is the radiator ? Take it to a good radiator shop. temporary solder up the bad stuff, recore later, or go for broke, recore and hope!!!

Story : Circa three kids in college and about to graduate and enter the adult world. A last hurrah as kids !!! Roy’s. very nice, but with a taste for oil, 39 Ford chosen to take us from El Paso to California. Go west young men !! We had a ball, details deleted.

Crossing the Sonora desert one night, on the way home. Best practice in mid summer. AC in any car, rare.

The fan blades went astray !!! busted the radiator pretty good !!! We three talented kids with tools pulled the radiator on the road shoulder. In the dark by flash light ands with pliers pinched the worst tubes closed. Put it back in. had water aboard. refilled . Still weeping. Got to Desert Center. A radiator shop found. Easy !!
Pulled again. Friendly guy soldered the bad tubes closed. On the road again. Day light, hot, sans fan, temp ok as long as we kept moving. We made it home…

Carl

Veekay - - glad your car is back and not really totaled. I hope you put it back into its previous beauty and grace. Like other posters, I hope the thief is made known to masses and suitably punished.

I replaced the radiator in my 1995 V12 XJS about 4 years ago to put in an aluminum radiator. The one I took out was installed in about 2004 or 5. It worked fine except I overtorqued the banjo bolt on pass side and spun the bung out of a good solder seal. It needs to be re-soldered; otherwise it lets out a small sizzle of coolant mist around the edge of the bung. I had decided to go to aluminum so I didn’t re-solder. In two weeks the new aluminum rad arrived and I completed the replacement. Also did hoses, thermostats etc

to my point - - The radiator i pulled out is sitting in my storage locker - - I would gladly donate it to you or anyone keeping an XJS on the road. All I ask is the shipping costs be paid.

Jim,

That is certainly generous of you. I don’t believe the radiator for the v12 will work for the 6 cylinder engine. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong here.

yep - -my bad. I was thinking yours was the V12

The radiator core is totaled. Best price I found (so far) was $450 to recore.

for that kind of money you can buy a new aluminum radiator from GPI racing or some other sellers on Ebay. Made in China but thousands of good reviews. Lots of V12 rads, but also lots of 6 cyl 4.0 liter radiators — less than $400.

I bought mine from Wizard Cooling - -no affiliation. Fully TIG welded and made in the USA

it may be possible to temporarily fit a radiator from another make.

for instance, in Oz, it is possible to graft in a V8 GM Commodore radiator to XJ6 & XJ12,
so much so, that some people make it permanent. An aftemarket new ebay jobbie cost about $100

The US XJS guys would have a better idea of suitable donors

now that I think of it, I do know a guy that has a Commodore radiator in his V12 XJS, which he regularly races. I will try and find the link and edit it in later

late 95’s have Tevas IV

Wow, VK, so sorry to hear < buddyhug > … Hopefully the perp was still in it when found (i.e. deceased :rage:) … j/k … Have the D.C. cops gotten any leads on the thief? Possibly the owner of the house saw them run off, or get in another car and got the car’s plate # … Or, surv. cam on the outside of the house or in the same area … ? :frowning_face: btw, some states (like mine, TX) have a “crime victim’s compensation fund” set up for victims of crimes who have lost $$ as a result. Clearly you fit that bill, since your car was stolen. The only problem with the TX system is that it won’t pay off if the victim had any other ins. resources that paid anything for the loss. So, if you had theft ins. on the car then you’d be out of luck as to a C.V.C. claim, at least here in Texas. :confounded:

Here in Texas, we rendered justice as to many horse thieves … :rage: