Stolen car in Southern Idaho

Don’t know about your dad’s car but this particular car but if it helps ID it, the car was at BJ auction in January of 2019 and has been at this dealer since November of last year.
pauls

Hi guys------the car has been recovered! There is really bizarre story behind all of this. I appreciate everyone’s concern and thought I should come back and say “thank you” to everyone here-

Thx Chad

Share???

Glad you got her back!

Glad to hear it was recovered.

Any chance we are going to get to hear the bizarre story? Let me guess, a repair shop was scheduled to pick up an E-type for repair, and they accidentally “picked up” the wrong one?

Thx guys.  This gets a bit confusing but stay with me, it'll all come together.
 After the car was stolen, I posted the above information on several club sites and of course, FB.   One of my friends had another friend  ( we'll call him, Bill ) that had had a restored 71 BMW stolen off of the street in front of his house.  This was several months ago.   The neighbors watched the whole thing go down.  They didn't suspect foul play as the car was picked up via tow truck.  Bill and I connected on FB and began texting back and forth about our situations.   
 Fast fwd to Feb 22nd:
 Bill informs me of a conversation he had with an employee from our local Porsche dealership.  He says they had a 76 911 Targa stolen from the service lot.   There was video footage but at the time it was unclear if it showed any evidence.   6 hours later, Bill says they have located the BMW and the 911 at the same location.   There was also a Jag there but unfortunately, it wasn't dads.  Bummer.  
 The guy from the dealer took some still shots of the footage and sent it to towing companies around the valley.  Just so happens that one of them had to tow THAT tow truck as it had gotten stuck!  They pulled the invoice and found the address.  Dealer peeks over the fence and finds both cars side by side.  The thief ( we'll call him Ted ) said that Homeland Security had asked him to tow these cars and had ( fake ) documents to back it up.   Ted has a long record and is on parole. 3-4 other cars there came back stolen as well.
Stay with me----we're getting close now.

April 6th I had 3 missed calls from the same number within 10 minutes.   I pulled over and listened to  a voicemail.  The officer was informing me that the Jag had been recovered.   Ohhhhhhhhh yeah!

Here's how it went down:
 "Jim" owns a container unit of sorts.  He occasionally lets a friend store items in there as well.  Jim needed something from there.   When he opens the container he finds a Jag.  He said he just had an odd feeling about it but didn't ask questions.  He opened the car and found old registration with a few details on it.   The address didn't help as that property has been sold. He contacts another friend who is better literate with a PC.   He typed in "stolen Jag, Boise" and discovers that he has found the stolen car.   I believe he asked around a few of the Jag sites and saw my post somewhere.  Authorities were contacted.  

Guess who his friend is?   Yep, Ted.   Same guy.   The car is in the exact condition as when he stole it.   Jail kept him from doing any "services" to it.

When I called Dad to inform him of the news he chuckled and asked, " I wonder if he got it started for me?"

Can someone please try to reformat that for me?

Thx guys. This gets a bit confusing but stay with me, it’ll all come together.

After the car was stolen, I posted the above information on several club sites and of course, FB. One of my friends had another friend ( we’ll call him, Bill ) that had had a restored 71 BMW stolen off of the street in front of his house. This was several months ago. The neighbors watched the whole thing go down. They didn’t suspect foul play as the car was picked up via tow truck. Bill and I connected on FB and began texting back and forth about our situations.

Fast fwd to Feb 22nd:

Bill informs me of a conversation he had with an employee from our local Porsche dealership. He says they had a 76 911 Targa stolen from the service lot. There was video footage but at the time it was unclear if it showed any evidence. 6 hours later, Bill says they have located the BMW and the 911 at the same location. There was also a Jag there but unfortunately, it wasn’t dads. Bummer.
The guy from the dealer took some still shots of the footage and sent it to towing companies around the valley. Just so happens that one of them had to tow THAT tow truck as it had gotten stuck! They pulled the invoice and found the address. Dealer peeks over the fence and finds both cars side by side. The thief ( we’ll call him Ted ) said that Homeland Security had asked him to tow these cars and had ( fake ) documents to back it up. Ted has a long record and is on parole. 3-4 other cars there came back stolen as well.

Stay with me----we’re getting close now.

April 6th I had 3 missed calls from the same number within 10 minutes. I pulled over and listened to a voicemail. The officer was informing me that the Jag had been recovered. Ohhhhhhhhh yeah!

Here’s how it went down:

“Jim” owns a container unit of sorts. He occasionally lets a friend store items in there as well. Jim needed something from there. When he opens the container he finds a Jag. He said he just had an odd feeling about it but didn’t ask questions. He opened the car and found old registration with a few details on it. The address didn’t help as that property has been sold. He contacts another friend who is better literate with a PC. He typed in “stolen Jag, Boise” and discovers that he has found the stolen car. I believe he asked around a few of the Jag sites and saw my post somewhere. Authorities were contacted.

Guess who his friend is? Yep, Ted. Same guy. The car is in the exact condition as when he stole it. Jail kept him from doing any “services” to it.

When I called Dad to inform him of the news he chuckled and asked, " I wonder if he got it started for me?"

1 Like

Thank you for doing that —

Glad it had a happy ending.

Oh, Ted’s lawyer just called - he’ll be billing you for a tow and for storing the Jag.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that story Chad! Sounds like Ted needs to go away for a VERY long time given his extensive record. I wonder what he planned to do with those very unique cars? Mexico?

This is an old trick…tow truck backs up and hooks up and tows away…having fake paper work…
Anytime I hear either the reverse beep or a heavy equipment truck in the neighborhood…I am out the door checking it out…
This tow truck theft thing has been going on a looong time

Very sorry to hear this. I hope it pops up.

Great news. :+1:

Excellent, very good new indeed.

Happy to hear your Pop got his “Jag” back !!!

I’m pretty sure Ted is rethinking most of his life choices about right now. The “other” charges, that I know of are, stalking and stolen property. Not a real sharp guy.

Exactly. If he did get it running, we should at least pay him a jail visit. :grinning:

It is 2021, so “TED” will be out, without bail needed, probably a deal with a weak DA, who will note that “Ted” probably had a disadvantaged life…did not have all the hot cars his buddies had in hi school…that was before he dropped out, so Ted will be charged with disordelry conduct and released. Glad the car is back undamaged. Ted is thinking how to do the next steal. Nick

Problem with that Kombi? It’s still a Kombi… :open_mouth:

Mitch

Friends of my parents (back in the 70’s) had an even more bizarre theft. Here is the gist:

• Friends discovered their car stolen
  • Friends call police, insurance, etc to report same
  • Several days later the car is returned in their driveway with a fresh wash, full tank o/f gas and an envelope taped to the steering wheels
  • Two items in the envelope: (1) tickets to a show/movie (?) and (2) a Note saying “Had a personal emergency and needed a car. Sorry for any inconvenience. Enjoy the show/movie on me”
  • Friends notify cops, insurance, etc
  • They went to the show/movie only to discover very pissed neighbors greeting them upon return home. Neighbors ask “Why didn’t you tell us you were moving??; the movers just spent 2 hours in your house”

The thieves knew the day/time the house would be vacant and the duration of said absence
The thieves did leave the kitchen sink but not much else.