Strange bolts(to me)

On the rear just above and inboard of the exhaust pipes there ar two bolts, only one left on my 89, what are they for? They appear to go to the bumper mount but protrude about 1 inch?could they be mounting bolts and someone couldn’t get the correct lenght?

David …

A picture would really help.

Here is a pic

That’s what holds your bumper assembly on. The bolts extend through the bumper frame and into a bumper shock eyelet. They should screw all the way in so the head is not protruding.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely have to get some proper length bolts!

Hi, I just checked those bolts on my 93 and they are protruding like the one in your picture, but mine have a spacer fitted to bridge that gap. I’m pretty sure the two on my Sovereign had the same arrangement. If you check the parts diagram on the JDHT website it shows a spacer on each of those bolts.

I have never looked closely at a 93 model, but the spacers you’re referring to may be the spacers that slide into the bumper frame and butt against the bumper shock. There would be one on the bottom for both sides. They’re made of steel, but since they slide into an aluminum bumper frame, they sometimes get loose. I would double check to see if they can slide further up the bolt shaft. Like I said, maybe its different on the later years, but its worth checking.