Strange electrics

Hi Guys,
Kindly help with the electrix on my Series 1and a bit.
New battery, new harness, new voltage regulater, etc.
The problem: at idle, with indicators on, the fuel pump speed, audibly decreases and increases with the indicators going on and off.
Increasing engine rpm from idle, brightens the headlights.
It seems as if the alternator does not supply enough power at idle, but recovers with increased engine rpm.
Even on my 6 volt vintage cars, I have never had this happen as bad as on the E.
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

I know nothing of E-type electrics, but I’m betting on a grounding issue.

I suggest you put a voltmeter on it and read the voltage at idle when this is happening and then when you rev engine
Dennis 69 OTS

Wow, that was quick. Thanks gents, I‘ll have a look and report back.
Chris

By “it” I mean the battery!!

TKS Dennis,
I’ll have a look,
Chris

By the way, have you the in-tank fuel pump or the external clicking type

If the external clicking type, the frequency of the clicking should only be proportional to the fuel consumption of the engine (except when you start a cold engine and the float bowls had evaporation over night and are not full so there is a lot of clicking to fill them).

We were in Capetown in 2018. Really nice place!

Dennis 69 OTS
Vancouver

Dennis,
No, I have the pump in the tank. So the pump is not ticking, but it is the on/off ticking of the indicator switch, which cause the frequency of the buzzing pump go up and down. ie, the pump slows down for a split second as the indicator draws current and recovers for a split second before the indicator draws current again.
Cheers
Chris

An automobile battery under discharge will be about 12 V. When being charged by an alternator or generator it will be about 14.5. Any electric motor in the system will see this and run slower until charging kicks in. This is quite noticeable when your headlights are on and you rev the engine. It’s not necessary a problem. I assume there is some sort of pressure regulator in the fuel system so you should be fine.

My cars do the same at idle - that is noticably dimmer lights at low rpm. Been so for years - always thought it was normal. Both cars have modern Delco Remy self regulated alternators.