Strange horn issue

Need labels?

There are a lot of bad relays being sold…I found that the ones from SNG in the green Lucas box work correctly.

On horns: they aren’t polarized, and pretty much any horn will work. For road or concours, nobody’s going to get under there to check the brand of horn you’re running.

1 Like

Thank you. I actually have one in my SNG cart right now.

Congrats Bob!, Was the steering nice and tight with the new column bearings and bushes?

1 Like

The steering is tight! I’m so happy that I removed the entire unit and re-built it from top to bottom. I was so please with the refurbished column that went out and bought a new hub and steering wheel…so much better! Thanks for the assist.

Now I need to attack the front brakes, the car pulls to the right on heavy braking. I’ve already replaced the pads but I need to go back in and check out the calipers. Either new ones or rebuild these, I’m tempted to go new. I also need to get the rotors turned.

I wouldn’t spring for new calipers unless these are really beyond saving. They’re easy to rebuild, and the parts are cheap. If the pistons are rusted, you can either use the cheap Centric pistons or spring for stainless.

OTH, I wouldn’t waste a penny on resurfacing rotors. An E-Type rotor doesn’t just pop off like a modern car rotor, but replacements are just $35. So having done the work of pulling them, new rotors are a better move. If you don’t have equipment to do safety wiring, you’ll need to get a kit from Aircraft Spruce, and you can find training videos on utube. You’ll want to think about front bearings as well.

1 Like

I parallel with my horns, I wired in an Air Horn.
It has its own relay and is triggered from the regular horn relay and fuse for the operating current . I can hear both it and the regular horns so if one fails I still have the other.

Dennis 69 OTS

I was impressed on how loud the horns are on our old Mercedes. They area readily available, reasonably priced Fiamm horns. I picked up a pair on Amazon.

1 Like

Since both of my horns seemingly worked when on my bench with a 12v power supply, I am going to replace the relay and see how things fare. If not any better, then I will venture to replace the horns with the Fiamm ones you noted on AMZN…they are a far cry less expensive than “Jag” horns.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m in the middle of replacing my Servo and master cylinder and working in the area of the relays. Back when this thread was new, I had to replace the horn relay and that is all complete, but as I look at this area I am confused by the presence of the three relays. My car did not have factory AC, yet there are two very old looking relays (horn is new) and I’m wondering why the car would have had the third relay. I will be tracing down the wires alter today, but wondered if there was a reason for its presence.

The only three relays at this location are alternator, horn and A/C. Is it possible that your aftermarket a/c system replaced a factory system?

I thought I had found data that indicated that this car didn’t have factory AC, but I guess I will have to explore further, including chasing down the wiring. Thanks for the info.