Strange Key Fob Puzzler (Cross-Posted from XJS Sub-Forum)

I was in AutoZone yesterday to try out the new replacement key fob (used) I purchased for Harlem, using their counter testing gizmo. I wanted to make sure it worked and the battery was up to snuff on it (as the seller claimed on Ebay). According to the counterperson, it was pretty impressive b/c it made their little tester light light up from several feet away (the counterman said usually customers have to hold their fob up close to the light to get it to work). :+1:

While I was there, I thought I might try out Superblue’s (my '94 4.0 XJS) fob as well on their tester. I very rarely use it, b/c it never seems the door lock relays never have enough “umph” to fully engage or disengage their locks (or worse, start rapidly locking and unlocking in a never-ending loop :angry: ). I was shocked to find that my fob did not light up the test light, even when held right up by it. :open_mouth: What is really weird is I could nevertheless see and hear Superblue going through her fob paces out in the parking lot, turning headlights on, off, etc. with confirmatory horn “beeps”. Me and the counterman just stood there perplexed at this apparent technical contradiction.

I asked the counterman whether their tester detects ALL frequencies of fob transmitters (knowing how Jag can come up with “unorthodox” mechanisms of their own design :roll_eyes: ). He told me that actually they are designed to detect ANY kind of fob RF signal. wth, then ??? :crazy_face: How can their detector not detect the signal up close, while Superblue, out in the parking lot and me in the middle of the store w. main doors closed, receives it? :confused:

The fact that your XJS reacted but the fella’s gizmo didn’t tells me that his gizmo isn’t quite as whizz-bang as he seems to think.

That’s my thinking … I plan to go by O’Reilly’s later today to get Harlem’s old starter bench tested, and if they have a similar counter gizmo I’ll try it on theirs … :wink:

btw, Fabber … I see you have one of those “Super V-8s” … I hadn’t even heard of that X-308 variant until very recently (although I used to own a “sport model” w. the beefed-up suspension and brakes) … What’s different about it vs. the base model XJ8? :confused:

The principal difference is hinted at in the model name: it’s supercharged.

Other than that, Daimler models have more real leather, as opposed to faux leather (I can’t recall which parts) and the Daimler fluted grill-top and boot-finisher. Options which mine has are LWB - and let’s be honest: for a 16+ foot car, the standard XJ’s leg-room is dreadful! - 2-seat rear accommodation (as opposed to 3-seat bench) with reclining, heated seats, rear sun blind, headlamp washers and - I think this was an option - the Daimler ‘D’ on the headrests. It surprises me that the original purchaser didn’t specify what must’ve been the only option left - a sun-roof.

Interesting. Speaking of the LWB model, it’s my understanding that the rear seat leg room difference vs. the base is not much - something like only 6" additional (?) :confused:

I think it’s 5". It doesn’t sound much, until you sit in one. Then you’ll notice it!

That’s what she said.

You forgot to add ( last night ) to your last comment.