Strange leaf spring mod

Hi all,

When I disassembled the leaf spring on my OTS, I found a rather unusual setup. At some point, someone has added a small piece of old leaf spring and mounted it inverted between the upper spring and axle. The is a pic of the added part next to the leaf spring (there was also a wedge fitted!):

This is a pic of how it was mounted, clamped so that it would be flush to the upper spring plate:

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to why on earth someone would have thought of this setup and to what purpose?? Apart from it lowering the car a few mm, I can’t see any benefit.

Thanks

Simon.

Mine also had a couple of extra leaves in it, which made it very stiff, presumably for racing, though whether on the track or on the street I never knew. Square cut ends was the clue. The anti-roll bar in front was also broken.
Putting the leaf inverted would be slightly stiffer than the normal way.
The idea of the wedge may have been that the modifier was aware that the pinion shaft of the differential should be parallel to the gearbox output shaft when at normal riding height, and the wedge may have been to adjust that parameter.
I put my leaves back to normal and the riding comfort and standing appearance is fine now.

1 Like

Thanks Rob, I’ll definitely be putting the springs back on in standard configuration. I’m very surprised that the tiny spring plate would make any noticeable difference though.

Thanks.

Simon.