Strange Orange "Dust"

Hi Guys,

I’ve noticed something rather odd about Harlem ever since I’ve owned her.

She seems to have this strange bright rust-colored “dust” that accumulates around the top of her front shock upper mounting bolts. When I lift the bonnet and spot it, I just brush it off. However, a few months later whenever I happen to check under the hood, it’s backkk … :dizzy_face: This keeps going on and on … The stuff does not appear to be made out of metal, so it can’t be powdered rust. I also thought it might be the notorious factory foam shock bushings deteriorating, but it’s not yellow in color and I think also those bushings are located underneath the mounting plate anyway. Any idea what is going on here, or do I have some kind of infestation by invisible Jaguar termites? :confused:

I would go for the top bush starting to deteriorate, especially if they are the originals.

I had the same experience, then the front end got noisy on bumpy roads. The fix was as mentioned, replacing the original top bushings on the front shocks. I went with rubber replacements rather than the original orange variety.
Mike

If it kind of looks like pencil eraser dust it’s the shock bushings. I pretty easy DYI fix. I too went with black ones for a replacement on my 2000 X308 and they’ve held up well.