Strange sound rear wheel XK120

Math, to evaluate your axle bearings, you can take the drum off and put it on backwards just so you have something to turn, this eliminates the shoes and springs as noise sources, then turn it and listen for the sound. Try the long screwdriver in the ear trick, handle in your ear, point touching where you think the sound is coming from. It really magnifies the sound.
Or auto parts stores sell a stethoscope that does the same thing.
You can try greasing the bearing. There should be a tiny bleed hole at the top, so be sure that is not full of dirt.

So can you post it here so we can have a listen?
Mine is a ENV axle but I believe the brakes are the same as what has been posted in this thread.

Check to see that the drum is not touching the backing plate in one spot as it rotates. Look for a shiny spot on the backing plate.

Hi. Drum not touching. Checked all moving parts, except bewaring

Tried to upload, however file is way too big. Will try to minimize.

Best regards,

Math

Dear Jag-lovers, this is the sound that is quite well audible at the right rear wheel of my 1952 XK120 fhc (Salisbury axle and steel wheels).
Hope someone can recognize it. It is NOT audible when the wheel is off the ground and (almost) disappears when I make a righthand turn (taking load of the wheel).

Hi guys, I tried several options to upload the sound, none of them I managed to get working. So I upload a video to youtube, hope this works.
The link to this video is:

https://youtu.be/GuYtYTOAGCQ

Thanks for your help, Math

XK120 fhc

Sounds like a faulty tyre.

Hi Guys, put on the spare wheel with a unused tire, no change. It is indeed as If the tire or the spring are making this noise, so I do understand your observation. Greased the spring and, while pushing car up and down, no sound. When I try to rock the wheel, exerting lateral pressure on the hub, sound is clearly audible, there is a metal-related part in the sound. Although usually a bad bearing sounds quite different, I more and more tend to think into that direction. Best regards, Math

Sounds like a bad bearing to me. Item 27. The roller carrier is broken and the rollers are falling as it turns. Try greasing it (item 28) and see if there is any difference in the sound.
Greasing is not a repair, just a diagnosis.
Love that color.

what Rob said/…pump it full of heaviest grease…and check for sound change

Thanks Rob. That’s indeed what I do think. Greased twice, virtually no, if any, difference. Just tried every other possible cause without any effect. Next step now is pulling the hub and half-shaft and replace bearing. Thanks for your observations.

The color by the way is “California Sage Green Metallic”, a period correct Aston Martin prototype color.

Best regards

Math

That’ what I will try tomorrow, good suggestion, thanks. Math

Math,
That sound is strange. If you have a dial indicator see if the drum face is running out which would indicate a slightly bent shaft. This would stress the bearing on each rotation. As a right hand turn descreases the rotations on that shaft the problem is obviously in your right axle. If you don’t have a dial indicator the old trick of a screwdriver point held very close to the face while rotating the drum will show enough. Don’t hold the screwdriver with your hand, just balance it on something.

Matt

Hi Matthew. That indeed could be the case, will test and let you know. Thanks, Math

I would jack the whole axle up off the ground to check for total, side-to-side end-float…the spec is 6-8 thou, IIRC. Once off the ground, you have to quite vigorously push and pull the wheel in and out to check for play/float. With properly greased bearings, end float should be barely noticeable. IF you must replace bearing(s), the set-up procedure for setting float (as described in the Manual) must be understood/followed carefully…I do the end float test/adjustment BEFORE greasing the bearings…much easier to “feel” float that way.

Thanks Lee. Did that last week and barely noticed float. The found is fully synchron with the turning of the rear wheel. However only under load. If I strongly pull on the top of the wheel, trying to pull it to the outside, same sound. Math

You might start with pulling off the hub. You need a tool like this to do it.
PICT0010
Tool rental places have them. Notice I have a steel block in between the puller screw and the nut on the end of the axle, to protect the nut and axle from screw damage. The nut is on there backwards and out two or three turns beyond the end of the axle. When the hub pops loose the nut catches it so it doesn’t fly across the garage.
Then with the hub off you can remove the outer seal cover and see the bearing. I’m thinking the roller carrier is broken and dragging around and that’s the noise you hear.

Thanks Rob. That’s indeed what I will do as soon as driving season is over. For now I am using the Healey BN1.

I do have a set of tools that will do it. Putting back the nut is indeed a good idea to catch the hub. Thanks, Math

Dear forum

Made a special tool to remove the half-shaft and the bearing, got the half shaft and the bearing out. Although I could not see any damage on the cage, I do believe that the bearing was not OK.

Despite the full restoration of the axle, which was done in the UK, I see signs that the bearing(s) have not been replaced. Do see the signs on the lefthand side of the rollers (3rd picture) This must have been the cause of the strange sound, all other elements were in great shape

Thanks for the many responses, I will replace bearing and oilseed and repeat the same on the LH-side.

1 Like