Straying from the factory

It wasn’t my intention to stray from what Jaguar do best but I just couldn’t help myself
3B1591CE-006E-4CB4-8037-99B5FECC203A

1 Like

Greetings All,

Just make sure you have enough mods to go into the modified class.

Hello Mike A. - any updated information and photos of your progress on the V12 that you pictured here (looks like you have surely put in some labor) - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 12/05/2020 0006hrs. EST USA.

Hey Terry,
Still haven’t put the V12 back in as I’m waiting for a manual gearbox, should be here around Christmas. Have though been busying myself though with getting everything else ready, such as the
Engine bay

Pedal box

And various other items, just need the gearbox and then everything can go back in…

Hey Lovell, if I attend a jag club show here in the UK, I usually enter in the pride and joy category, as it’s a good place to park centrally and some times you get surprise result, I think it was 2009 she won pride & joy and beat the queens mums xj to car of the day, more though because of the distance I had covered to get to show… There is a JEC event at Blenheim palace in May and that would be a nice show enter

Hello Mike - nice work done on the engine bay, especially the insulation heat wrapping on the steering fluid line - what type of insulation wrap is this - almost looks like a fold-over and self retained wrap - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 12/05/2020 1358hrs. EST USA.

Thanks Terry, the silver wrap is a funk motorsport product as is the gold Velcro sleeving… the original had turned to dust…

1 Like

Sort of wish that category existed here.

I have noticed one big difference between the US and the U.K. Owners…

UK owners will restore the car to the best they can with originality being a priority. If a U.K. owner wants a red car they will locate the car they want that was equipped originally.

US owners will restore the car to the best they can with the period correct options and color regardless of whether they were original yo their example.

Not a hard and fast rule mind you. I highly respect the U.K. way. Not sure I would have the strength to keep a Willow Green XK120 OTS in its original color IF I had to do a full restoration?

We’re lucky here, with the JEC and JDC being jag specific they can have many different categories allowing all owners and types of cars their time in the limelight…

The level and type of restoration or salvation I think depends on the owner and condition of the car, difficult to have survivor classics of any age if you enjoy driving them… and I’m for if you don’t really change the spirit of car any mod is fine with me…if tastefully done as I do like a good resto mod…

My own car was originally brown, my father changed the colour after 10 years and 80’000 miles to silver birch and then I changed it again when I got hold of it 10 years after that. The mods and upgrades I have done are period and or Jaguar parts, so for me that doesn’t change the spirit of the car… even though it’s no way near original.

Good enough for concours…?

2 Likes

Hi,

Nit-picking I know, but I don’t think ANY XK’s were Willow Green to begin with, there was Suede Green and then there was Pastel Green Metallic (1949-1952) and Pastel Green (non-metallic 1952-1961).

I prefer original, I have never understood ”opinions” about colours. People are different, so are cars, no need to change them. YMMV.

Cheers!

I think each to their own on colours, I mean you have the choice when buying new so why not when restoring. I chuckle to myself when my car’s originality is questioned, I mean, I restored and upgraded the car for me and no one else.

I sort of got carried away with the engine bay, but always thought the standard version looked messy and a bit dour, hopefully though this week she will run…

1 Like