Strobe timing light

I’m going to buy a strobe timing light is it worth getting one with auto advance option or not?

I just googled strobe light with advance option and I must be dumb because I can’t fathom out how it would work. Don’t take me wrong I know how to use a timing light it’s the auto advance feature that has me bamboozled.

1 Like

That’s what was bugging me

Personally I would just go with a base unit, less things to screwup/go wrong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got ahold of one of those timing lights with the advance option once. I found it confusing. When you’re looking at the timing marks, you dunno if what you’re seeing is real or not.

2 Likes

I think they are used when all you have is a TDC timing mark and no graduated scale. With a conventional light, lining up the mark on the balancer or pulley with the tdc pointer means 0d advanced. Using an adjustable light, you’d dial in say 8d advance, and now when the marks are lined up you are actually at 8d.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob, that makes sense.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a car with only a mark at TDC. I’ve seen cars with only one mark, but it was at the specified timing.

1 Like