Stub Axles and Tramlining

About 10000 miles ago heard a rumble from the right front at about 30mph; replaced both inner and outer bearings on both sides, which cured the noise. Stub axles had a slight ridge, so I ordered a couple for the next occasion to have apart, dreading removal.
Started hearing a rumble again recently so I compared the wheel play at 12-6 vs. 3-9, and concluded it was stub axle time. Ordered another set of bearings and seals. Used the hub and bearings per Kirby as a puller with a twist- the stub axle is relieved about 25% of its diameter to keep the bearings retaining washer from rotating. This compromises the torque that can be applied to pull the stub axle.
I used an old temp sender that had the same 5/8-18 thread and cut a semicircle to fill the relieved area on the stub axle; then used a regular hex nut of the correct thread. The brass semicircle kept the threads fully engaged allowing about 150 lb/ft of torque.
I then heated the upright in the taper vicinity with a propane torch for 2 or 3 minutes and the taper released with a pop. The other side responded the same.
After all reassembled I have noticed that the tramlining that I thought was tires is gone, and seems to have tightened the steering significantly.

1 Like