Stuck flexible brake line

I’m trying to replace the front, flexible brake lines on my 61 roadster. I didn’t have any issues with 3 of the 4 places they connect, but I spent hours on the last one (passenger side, connection to hard line to caliper). I used a ton of PB Blaster, used a hair dryer to heat it up and the tip of a soldering gun to heat up the nut. It evidently is rusted on. I am using the proper tools but I can’t get a whole lot of leverage because of the suspension parts in the way.

I don’t want to use an open flame for obvious reasons but I’m not sure what else to do. I spent almost 3 hours on that one connection.

Any words of wisdom?

David,
I have had good luck with a product called Kroil when removing metal parts that are rusted in place on my Jaguars, including my 1969 E-Type FHC. This is especially true when heat from a torch is not a safe option. Sometimes a good soaking in Kroil and letting it sit overnight is enough to loosen things up safely.
I see that you are also in South Carolina. I recently moved to Greer, just outside of Greenville.

Paul

Take the bracket off and over to a vice. Nothing wrong with a propane torch.

A man after my own heart.

You have limited options…you cant remove the bracket becaus the hard line is in place…so use a heat protective matt around the area and a fine torch on the nut…have a close look at the hard line…could be time to replace that as well…Steve

I’m not familiar with the E-type (mine’s a Daimler 250) but people are using the word ‘nut’.

If indeed it is a nut, a nut splitter would be the gentlest way to remove it

Just keep going down the line. If you go to the t-junction on the picture frame, that came apart for me, then off to the vice with your PB Blaster and a large vice-grip. The t-fitting is fastened solidly Just blindly reach in with a wrench and give it a smack.

X2 on the Kroil. Its great stuff.

If you’re going to replace the line, cut it off at the fitting and put a six point socket over it.

1 Like

Don’t know why I did’t catch it when you originally posted it, but welcome to Greenville. I actually live in Greer too. South of 1-85 so most people consider it Simpsonville. Have you had your car out to any shows recently?

David,
We moved from California to South Carolina in August with three of our Jaguars (we sold three of them before the move). We are still settling in and have not been to any local events yet. My 1969 E-Type FHC is best described as a “scruffy driver” but with a freshly rebuilt engine and new clutch I am driving and working on it regularly.
I will send you a Personal Message (PM) through Jag-Lovers about getting together sometime soon.

Paul

Getting to the fitting is a PITA. For extra leverage, i ended up bracing one wrench against the frame and tying a piece of cord to the other wrench, and pulling from above.

Also the flexible hose from SNG was 1 1/2 inches shorter than the original, but did work.