Stuck in first gear

OK everybody, I’m stumped. My son and I have gotten most everything working on our 89 XJS convertible. The only thing left is the fact that the transmission will not upshift. I have read all the messages and the JL pages concerning this problem. I have also read these sections of Kirby Palm’s book. We checked the vacuum actuator lines, and it in fact had a hole burned in it. Replaced the vacuum line and while we were there, we pulled the actuator and checked it. It appears to work fine under vacuum and does not leak. went for a ride, and still no shifting. So on to the governor. All the posts say that there is an access panel in the tunnel. Not true in our car. Is this a convertible thing? (the lack of access panel that is) Removing the governor involved removing the entire rear transmission mount, the panel that hides the u-joint, and separating the u-joint at the flange to allow the tranny to drop low enough to allow room for the governor to come out. Once removed, the governor looks fine. the gear is fine and engages fully when installed. I don’t really understand how this governor works.

Where do I go from here?
Tom Caron

How is the fluid level?

Disconnect the wiring from your kickdown microswitch, located at the engine end of the throttle cable. See if that changes anything.

I did a fluid and filter change, so I believe the fluid level is correct. However, it is almost impossible to get a good read on the dipstick with new fluid.

Dave. I tested the micro switches, and they appear to be working properly. The kickdown switch has no connection until throttle cable pulls in at full throttle. Is it possible for the electric kickdown actuator to fail in the actuated position inside the granny?

Dave. The other switch that actuates on the throttle turntable is also working properly. Which one activates the kickdown?

Hi Tom, the kickdown switch is hidden below a metal plate at the end of the throttle cable.The fuel enrichment switch is beside the turntable, and activates as the turntable rotates. I’m no transmission expert, but I do know enough to get into trouble. I went to my (garaged) car, turned on ignition without starting, and triggered the microswitch for the kickdown. When I released the switch I could hear a “click” from the trans. The detent solenoid is on the LHS of the transmission case, and maybe with a helper you could get down and hear it operate. (or not)
I found a bit of info. in an old Motor manual, and you could do a road test if you have a chance to wind the car up at WOT. It should upshift even at WOT. Hope this helps.IMG_3264

Thanks Dave! Very helpful.

Dave
After taking the car almost completely apart to get to the governor, I just got everything back together with two changes. A new vacuum actuator, and the kick down switch disconnected. My son and I just went for a ride and the granny shifted exactly as it is supposed to (YEAH). So it may have been the kick down switch all along, even though it ohmed out as working properly. We are very happy to have this problem resolved. Thanks so much for your advice.
Tom Caron

1 Like