Stuck Oil Filter - GRRRR

I saw on the videos that is one pretty common method. Only problem with that method though, as pointed out by one of the YouTubers, is you better end up getting the old filter off that way (vs. just coming apart, breaking into bits, etc.) or else your vehicle is disabled until you get all the bits off and your new filter on. :angry: Otherwise, you canā€™t drive around with a hole in the filter or it missing entirely. :no_entry_sign:

One of the YouTubers swore 100% by that rubber ā€œcapā€ that you slip over the end of the filter - supposedly FIRMLY grips the filter and doesnā€™t allow it to slip at all, thereby loosening it. :+1: I had thought about going by Autozone and getting one of those after I saw that video, but then later on I saw another video where that gizmo did not work for another YouTuber with a stuck filter. :thinking:

One of the videos I watched the YouTuber tried that method (ā€œas a last resortā€) on his stuck filter and when he twisted the screwdriver the casing of the filter came all apart, leaving the ā€œplateā€ (i.e. the 6-hole or 7-hole part?) still firmly stuck to the engine block. :open_mouth: He then got out a Dremel tool and tried to cut the plate into pieces, to no success. :angry: IIRC, I think he finally got the plate off by taking one of his large sockets and, using Play-Doh (of all things) to create a ā€œmoldā€ of the size and location of the holes, was able to grind the socket down so that it had ā€œprojectionsā€ on it that would fit into the holes. Putting that on his socket wrench and twisting finally got the plate loose. :relieved:

Musta been a Fram! :laughing:

1 Like

I did buy one of those when I bought my original supplies for the job, VK. Only thing is I saw in one of the videos that the pliers ended up just crushing the filter casing, leaving the now-damaged item still firmly attached. :angry:

Frankly, if I knew then what I know now I think I would have instead just driven Superblue to one of those ā€œ5 Minute Oil Changeā€ places and let them have a go at it and put a new filter on her. :thinking: Of course, it would have been probably some cheap generic one (assuming they even HAD one that would fit a face-lift 4.0), but that would have been enough to allow me, once I got her back home, to put my $25 NOS Jaguar-brand filter on her, with ease (assuming they HAND-tightened their filter on her). :+1:

I had wondered why the Jag factory workshop literature advised removal by wrench, Gregmatic. Now I KNOW why ā€¦ :slightly_frowning_face:

And donā€™t forget the cheapo Chevy Nova. They had to rebadge the car when it was sold in Latin America (I forgot the name they chose) b/c ā€œNo vaā€ = ā€œit doesnā€™t runā€ in Spanish, which is probably the truth. :laughing:

Saturn also really stood by their cars. I remember the teenage daughter of a friend bought a late model used one from the local dealership, and not long afterwards the engine blew (she was a bit of an ā€œairheadā€, so donā€™t know whether she ignored warning signs or what went down). However, although the car was out of factory warranty, she bopped her cute blonde self down to the Saturn dealer and pouted over what happened to her car. Astonishingly, they went ahead and put her in a brand new engine at no charge. :open_mouth: They told her that Saturn stands by their vehicles and that they donā€™t want any bad p.r. out there about their quality. I canā€™t imagine any other car manuf. doing similar.

Actually, our family had two of them at the same time, Gregmatic, and, IIRC, they were both pretty dependable cars. My mom had a bright lemon-yellow one, and my (older) brother a chocolate brown one (both with the usual decals on them). :joy:

I think Iā€™ll give that a go, beagleman ā€¦ Canā€™t hurt, and is a quick thing . Thanks.

Another urban legend that stubbornly refuses to dieā€¦:grimacing:

I figured the oil is there to make sure it doesnā€™t stick whenever it is removed later on. :confused: In fact, I was wondering if when I finally am able to get my new filter on if instead I should use a dab of anti-seize on that gasket instead of engine oil. ? (same for the threads) ā€¦ :confused:

They didā€¦ until about 1997, when GM could not stand their business model, any longerā€¦ then the company just becameā€¦GM.

I had a '92, and attended the Saturn Homecoming, which was amazing!

Wow, that just blew my mind, Wiggler. I has read that account so many times in the past had to take it as being accurate. :open_mouth: Thanks for clarifying it ā€¦ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

LOL, Palmdude ā€¦ In fact, one of the YouTubers (I think it was that mechanic guy in Houston that is so well-watched and a bit comical) mentions that very event as one of his ā€œfour biggest flubsā€ by DIYers when it comes to auto maintenance. He says the ā€œdouble sealā€ in fact does not seal at all. :blush: So, be sure that the seal on the old filter came off with it!

Brings up an interesting related question, Palmdude, and one I donā€™t think I have ever seen on our forum before. Re: those brightly-colored drain plugs that have a built-in magnet in them, so that chaff remains stuck to it and removed along with the plug whenever the oil is drained/changed. Iā€™ve seen those for sale many times on Ebay. Are they really worth the extra $$ and work as promised? :confused:

Canā€™t remember, although I noticed something about the Fram filters in the videos - they do seem to have a rubber casing (coating?) on the last few inches of the end. Iā€™m thinking now that that rubber is there to help the ā€œgripā€ whenever it comes time to remove the filter. ? :confused:

I use magnetic drain plugs. Iā€™m not convinced they accomplish anything, but then again they donā€™t hurt anything. Some engines and transmissions reportedly have a magnet inside the sump to catch stuff, so apparently somebody thinks itā€™s worthwhile.

I owned a 1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII once. Worst car ever, for anyone keeping track. In about 40K miles, the engine, transmission, differential, brakes and drive shaft all failed and had to be replaced. Anyhow, I had a magnetic drain plug in that thing, and every time I changed the oil it was completely covered with metal particles. That POS was clearly eating itself alive when it ran. At 110K miles I couldnā€™t stand the noise of the piston slap any more and sold it. The buyer had a front wheel come off a short time later.

When I resealed the pan on the Jeepā€™s BW66, it had a magnet in the sumpā€¦ which had a fair amount of ferrous bits attached to it.

Donā€™t watch the videos, just try the tool if you bought it. If the filter gets crushed, it increases the grip.

Iā€™ve used them on big Mann filters and small Honda filters. It works greatā€¦unless youā€™re planning on reusing the filter.