SU Carb removal

I need to remove the carbs from my '63 OTS for rebuilding. I have removed the trumpet flange, fuel pipes, throttle linkage, etc. I have loosened the four nuts securing the first carb to the manifold, but the carb seems stuck to the insulator block. I don’t see any way to pry it loose without doing damage.

Any suggestions?

Give it a wack…with a soft hammer or wood

If you are SURE all four nuts are removed, gentle taps with a rubber mallet should do the trick.

Those insulator blocks can glue themselves to the manifold and carb bodies due to fuel saturation. Someone might also have used glue which is not necessary. Mine tore up rather than come off cleanly last time they came off.

The rubber mallet worked great. I guess I just wanted someone to blame if I broke something!

Thanks

Definition of hammer: a percussive instrument, designed to locate the most expensive part near the part you are attempting to hit.

2 Likes

Probably quicker and easier to take all the carbs off at the same time via the head flanges. Then dismantle everything on the bench.
That’s always been the way I’ve done.the job.

That seems like a lot more steps if you have to drain the coolant and get to all of the bolts on the bottom of the intake manifold, but maybe I don’t understand how that works.

I just figured that to properly rebuild the carbs is a pretty big and seldom required job so it would probably be worth redoing the vacuum and coolant gaskets on the manifolds at the same time and cleaning the whole lot up…

The bottom nuts are not difficult using an offset open-ended wrench and the whole lot comes off complete with all the linkage and piping intact.

2 Likes

Having rebuilt the carbs off the manifold, I can say having the whole thing out has a lot of advantages. Setting and adjusting the choke linkage parts in place is time consuming and frustrating. Putting the clevis pins in and out many times, and finding them when dropped. Just looking at Clive’s picture tells the story. So many more angles to get at all the pieces.