SU HD6 carb lean on acceleration, rich on deceleration

I took mine for a drive today did 15 miles in a 3 mile radius of home …. We are in lockdown here …… so not able togomore than 3 miles radius of home …… problem for me is that half of that is in the sea! …… anyway the new um needles have improved the car greatly in the low rev range no hesitation anymore …. Just a little lean on second carbie after the run …. Quarter down … on the jet …… I’ll drive again soon to see how it goes…with that adjustment.

2 Likes

I won’t comment on the government crap but make sure you get it really hot; I had to lean it out quite a bit once it was truly warm (which makes sense) and once leaned out by at least half a turn everything came together and it no longer tries to die when the ASC shuts off. I have to leave the car for a bit now and then I will do an oil change, fix the second fuel tank, check the plugs after a full load run and when happy pronounce the shakedown runs truly over. Good luck to you and everyone else!

2 Likes

Danny

Sorry for the late reply but I have been away from home for some days with my wife, who is part paralysed and I am her full time carer.

Yes, in the mid 1960’s S.U service school students were instructed to ensure two serrated fibre washers were fitted on each carburettor where these special washers were called off. In short if a washer was listed, then two were to be fitted.

Later S.U fitted some versions of carburettor with a special alloy shield that had an impressed “bridge” which allowed the float chamber centre bolt to be tightened but still allowed air to enter under the bridge. This design also had its problems when after a number of times being nipped down the bridge indentations flattened down.

I have worked on vehicles in well over 40 countries and in doing so have had access to data and drawings that are not available to the average owner. I can assure you that Rolls-Royce / Bentley drawings for all post war 6 cylinder cars specifically list two serrated washers on each carburettor …….who else do you think designed the HD carburettors with S.U involvement, certainly not Jaguar!

The problem today is that owners and mechanics are continually repeating history, if they listened to those mechanics and engineers who worked on the cars in the 50’s and 60’s they would find “We have been here before……”.

Thanks for the reply , I’ll certainly keep this in mind when I need to do my next rebuild…… at the moment I’m not having any issues …. Now that I replaced some worn needles and jets