Subframe interchangeability

So I came across a complete front and rear subframe from a 95 V12 with less than 40k miles and supposedly a California car. Pictures look very clean. Complete as in axles, brakes, diff, steering rack etc.

This seems like it would be a slam dunk upgrade for the 88 that I’m building for lemons racing. The only thing it doesn’t have that I would still want to source is the better ratio for the rear diff from the 6 cylinder car.

My Google fu seems to suggest it’s a basically direct swap from face lift cars to the H.E. cars. But could I get some verification before I plunk down cash?

In terms of mounting points, I think you’re correct - bolt in replacements. The main problem at the rear end may be fabricating the brake lines for the inboard to outboard conversion. The other possible issue may be the switch of some fittings from imperial to metric, not insurmountable though.

Bob, the 6 litre cars did have 3.58 diff.

Rob

It’s a LeMons car: if it doesn’t quite fit, weld it in place!

:wink:

1 Like

I happen to be dismantling a '94 6 litre XJS, to part out.

It’s a 3.54, not 3.58 as I stated earlier. And limited slip of course.

Instead of the usual tags under the cover bolts, for this diff the ratio is stamped into the casting area shown with yellow crayon.

Good luck,

Rob

Maybe the seller just doesn’t know what they have. He states it’s a 2.88 limited slip from a 1995 XJS. Sound like it might be perfect for my needs then.

Whelp. To slow. It sold before I could follow up.